Question about actors and scenenodes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Question about actors and scenenodes

Hello again,

I've been making a 2d game engine based on the architecture of this book and things have been going spectacular. I've got everything working so now I want to create a TheoJansen walker actor but I run into the following barriers: I can't have more than one physics body (fixed) or scene node per actor. The only way I can think to accomplish my task is to completely rewrite the actor creation process. Am I right? If so, can anyone reference me to some kind of book or article on actor and scene node systems. Anything would help.

Thank, Jonathan.
      Signature *s = NULL;
    • RE: Question about actors and scenenodes

You are right - the book currently assumes one physics actor is tied to a visual representation of that actor.

One thing you can try, however, is create a special actor type that can act as a parent to other actors. That shouldn't be horrible to install.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • No problem - let us know how it turns out.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I did it 8o! I didn't have to make a special actor either. I accomplished my original goal. I'm not going to go into too much detail because I don't want to bore anyone, but essentially this is what I did: First, I put a vector container to hold bodies in the Box2DPhysicsActor which was originally BulletPhysicsActor. Then, I had to change a lot of stuff in order to get all of the related functions working again. After that, I gave the scene a map to contain multiple scene nodes along with a corresponding id. Then again, I had to modify all of the relating functions. It's definitely not optimized, but it doesn't matter because I can fix that.

I feel like a fr*****g genius because I'm only sixteen and no one at my school could help me. So thanks a lot Mike for your suggestions.
      Signature *s = NULL;

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jonathan_ ().