Decoda

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The recent Lua question reminded me that debugging Lua scripts kinda sucks. You usually have to revert to print() debugging or rolling your own (Lua does provide debugging hooks to get at the callstack and set breakpoints).

After a bit of research and a number of trials, I've found Decoda to be the best Lua IDE / Debugger out there:
      unknownworlds.com/decoda

It seemlessly attaches to your application, all you have to do is point to where the PDB files are. It supports projects, break points, call stacks, watches, can dynamically expand tables, etc. It catches Lua exceptions and asserts, so you can get a breakpoint when you accidentally try to dereference a nil value instead of dealing with LuaPlus::LuaException in C++. It also plays nicely with Visual Studio so you can attach both debuggers to the same process, allowing you to debug Lua and C++ at the same time.

The only downside? It's not free. It costs $50 for a license, though you can install it on as many computers as you like as long as you're not using them simultaneously. If you ask me, it's well worth the price if you do any significant Lua scripting. If you hold off on buying one video game, you'll have enough for it.

They have a 30 day trial as well.

-Rez
    • Decoda has been good to us as a small team, as a school project they even donated an indie license to us, however.... Decoda is now an open source project!!!

Which means it is free for all to use in non-commercial and commercial software, I hope to see it come to Linux as that is my native OS, which is now made possible by them letting others work on the code (who knows maybe I will contribute).
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • They made it open source? That's awesome! There are a couple of minor things that bug me about decoda (like the lack of folders in the file navigator) so now I really don't have any excuse not to make those changes. :)

-Rez
    • I think they are hoping that by opening it up, the development of it will become much faster.

These kind of projects kind of daunt me as I have never worked on something like it, but who knows maybe I'll find a way to contribute.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz