Multiple issue

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Multiple issues

Hi

I started working on the book about 1 month ago and reached a stage where I feel I am ready to compile the code and follow it using the book.

I am using VS2010 - Code won't compile. I am not the brightest or most knowledgeable when it comes to compiling and c++ in general. I learned by myself and can read and understand code.

Can anyone help? Did anyone ever try to compile this using VS2010?

Thanx!

I can post the errors here but they are quite long.

Amichai

The post was edited 1 time, last by eagleil ().

• RE: So no help?

I've managed to compile it using visual c++ express 2010. I haven't yet done the editor stuff though, I was assing around getting the upto date 3rd party stuff to compile, finding a resource editor to work with because the express editions are very limited, oh yeah, and having to reimplement atltypes.h.

Having some issues with the code, references not released at app exit, crash because of invalid actor, and I'm sure theres more to come. I'll have a closer look in the forum later to see if there any answers.

But I would say that your problems would be through your project settings. For instance, you have to put the dx directories in the VC++ Directories property and remove it from the C/C++ General section otherwise it references the dx files in the windows sdk, which doesn't have d3dx9, and not the dx sdk.
    • Finally someone...

I am using the full version of VS2010 and not he xpress.

I added the dx folders and also added the boost, lua and rest of externals. I even tried recompiling lua - But that didn't work.

What were you able to compile? and how? Can you post your source somewhere - I'd rather be explained what to do so I can learn myself though...

Thanx!
    • I compiled all the 3rd party stuff, most of them use jam files which are basically like batch files.

For boost:
      Download boost 1_43_0 and unpack it.
      Go to folder \boost_1_43_0\tools\jam.
      Double click build_dst.bat, this will build bjam.exe in the directory .\stage\bin.ntx86.
      Add this directory to your system paths so bjam can be invoked to build the boost libs.
      Open Command Prompt and cd to the boost directory.
      To build boost type: bjam --build-dir="C:\...directory of your choice..." --build-type=complete msvc stage
      Then go and have a cup of tea and a bath because it takes a while for boost to build, 4 Gigs of output.

For bullet:
      Download bullet-2.76.zip and unpack it.
      Go to folder \bullet-2.76\msvc\2008.
      Double click the BULLET_PHYSICS 2008 solution file and upgrade it.
      Building it should be no problem from within Visual Studio.

For oggvorbis:
      The solution files are in there so it should be no problem for you. If you're using the express edition then you have to open up the solution and project files in notepad and remove everything to do with 64 bit builds otherwise the upgrade will fail.

For Lua:
      Download Git-1.7.0.2-preview20100309.exe and install it. This is basically another svn tool.
      Use the Git GUI to download the latest LuaPlus51 and unpack it.
      Download jamplus-100807-bin.win32.zip and unpack it.
      Add the \jamplus\bin\ntx86 directory to your system paths.
      Open Command Prompt and cd to the LuaPlus directory.
      To build lua type: CreateJamVS2010Workspace
      This will create a directory named build2010. Inside you will find a directory named _workspace.vs2010_, inside there are the solution files so you can build LuaPlus with Visual Studio.
      It might give you some errors but the dlls and libs build fine.

When you're done you can remove the environment variables from the system path.

Also when using Lua in the source code you might need add the LuaPlus namespace, it wasn't defined in mine so it couldn't find any of the lua stuff.
    • Couldn't compile the boost library...

warning: No toolsets are configured.
      warning: Configuring default toolset "msvc".
      warning: If the default is wrong, your build may not work correctly.
      warning: Use the "toolset=xxxxx" option to override our guess.
      warning: For more configuration options, please consult
      warning: boost.org/boost-build2/doc/htm…vanced/configuration.html

notice: could not find main target stage
      notice: assuming it is a name of file to create.
      D:/Downloads/GameEngines and Dev Tools/Boost/boost_1_44_0/boost_1_44_0/tools/bui
      ld/v2/build\project.jam:737: in attribute
      warning: rulename $($(project).attributes).get expands to empty string
      D:/Downloads/GameEngines and Dev Tools/Boost/boost_1_44_0/boost_1_44_0/tools/bui
      ld/v2/build\project.jam:749: in project.target
      ld/v2\build-system.jam:707: in load
      D:\Downloads\GameEngines and Dev Tools\Boost\boost_1_44_0\boost_1_44_0\tools\bui
      ld\v2/kernel\modules.jam:283: in import
      D:\Downloads\GameEngines and Dev Tools\Boost\boost_1_44_0\boost_1_44_0\tools\bui
      ld\v2\kernel\bootstrap.jam:142: in boost-build
      D:\Downloads\GameEngines and Dev Tools\Boost\boost_1_44_0\boost_1_44_0\boost-bui
      ld.jam:17: in module scope
      ld/v2/build\project.jam:737: in project.attribute
      ld/v2/build\targets.jam:206: in object(project-target)@36.__init__
      ld/v2/kernel\class.jam:88: in new
      ld/v2/build\project.jam:749: in project.target
      ld/v2\build-system.jam:707: in load
      D:\Downloads\GameEngines and Dev Tools\Boost\boost_1_44_0\boost_1_44_0\boost-bui
      ld/v2/build\project.jam:737: in project.attribute
      ld/v2/build\targets.jam:226: in object(project-target)@36.get
      ld/v2\build-system.jam:720: in load
      ld/v2\build-system.jam:721: in load
      *** argument error
      * rule project.load ( jamfile-location )
      * called with: ( )
      * missing argument jamfile-location
      ld/v2/build\project.jam:53:see definition of rule 'load' being called

Any idea?

UPDATE: Got it! Did something wrong in the paths... Building this now.

The post was edited 1 time, last by eagleil ().

• LUA stage stuck

Ok after a few tries I am stuck in the LUA compiling stage.

I tried a few times but I was never able to download the LUA source using GIT. Probably doing something wrong.

I did download the LUA source but was never able to compile it.

Can you help me again please?

Thanx!
    • In the folder there is a batch file called "CreateJamVS2010Workspace.bat", call that to create a vs2010 work space with JamPlus. This should create a folder called build2010.

If you're using the Git GUI from "http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list", such as "Git-1.7.0.2-preview20100309.exe". Launch Git GUI, select "clone existing repository", then in the new dialog, for source location set " git.luaplus.org/luaplus51-all.git" and target directory set it to a folder on your system. Then press clone.
    • Yep, the next thing is copy things over and set the right directories and lib files, you can just update the settings already there. If everything is set OK you should get quite a few errors when you build, these are mostly to do with the LuaPlus namespace not being defined so add "using namespace LuaPlus;" wherever its needed. The other error is to do with you needing to change "std::string.npos" with "std::string::npos" in "DumbStuff\Strings.cpp". Hopefully that should be it.

I forgot to mention that if you want you can download zlib125 and also use that. You can get it from "http://zlib.net", you'll also need to download the masm object files from "http://www.winimage.com/zLibDll/zlib124_masm_obj.zip". Then unpack zlib and then put the masm files in the appropriate folders in "\zlib-1.2.5\contrib". You can then build with vs2010 using the solution file in "\zlib-1.2.5\contrib\vstudio\vc10". When built you will have two files, "zlibwapi.dll" which you put in the bin folder and "zlibwapi.lib" which you put in the ResourceCache folder and link to this instead of "zlib.lib" in the gcc3 project. You will also need to add "#define ZLIB_WINAPI" in GameCodeStd.h just under where WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN is defined.