Just a Question

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just a Question

I'm sorry for posting this here, but the forums in which it would have seemed natural to post this question are all locked!

I was just wondering what kind of 2D game programming techniques the book goes over. I'm particularly interested in entity to world collision on tilebased maps, specifically collision and interaction with slanted platforms (a la Super Mario Bros. 3, and nearly every 2D game since 1986), and collision with moving platforms.

The style of the book's introduction (I downloaded the sample chapter linked from iDevGames.com) seems the kind of thing I'd like to read, but as I'm not a windows programmer (indeed, I switched to Mac OSX about a year and a half ago, and haven't looked back), I'm more interested in general theory that could be applied across a spectrum. If the book has 2D collision with slanted platforms I'll buy it immediately. ^_^;;

Thanks,
      - cloud
      ministryofdoom.org/cloud
    • Although there is 2D coverage in the book it is probably not as deep as you require, as it covers the basics such as video surfaces, sprites, colour keying and file formats. The 3D coverage is the real meat of the book.
      Unfortunately there is little to no mention of collision detection either, which is a shame. Mike mentioned the lack of collision in his auto-review here.
      pan narrans
    • As it turns out, the source code that will be posted on this very web site will have some very basic 2D collision - I implemented most of a breakout style game.

It turns out that breakout needs a simple collision system to handle interactions with the ball, bricks, paddle, and walls - so even though the book doesn't cover collision at all you'll get some basic examples in the source.

I hope that helps, and I wish I had more pages to talk about collision systems - it's a very interesting subject.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • RE: Just a Question

Sometimes what I would find useful to answer specific algorithm questions are the Gem type books such as one of the Graphics Gems or Game Programming Gems . You may find math and implementation details of what you're looking for in one of those books.

But the hunt can be hit or miss. It can be, how do you Americans say it, a pot-shot, or pot-luck, or pot-pourri!? HA :P, I kid you!
    • Heh... yeah, I mastered bounding-box, bounding circle, and bounding-box-to-pixel-perfect collisions some time ago. (Thank you, Diana Gruber.) I'll still check out the book when I pass through Barnes and Noble next time.

Thanks again,
      - cloud
      ministryofdoom.org/cloud