So, How do you do it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• So, How do you do it?

I am an 18 year old Male who wont stop until I have my own.
      But how does someone go about doing it.
      Sure, money is apart, But how do you do it the right way? Is it like make a website ( get a building and computes, and software ), pull a team together and make some magic.
      I'm not looking for a guide but I am someone who is just looking from the outside. What are the challenges the happen with in a business that you wont see in any other industry?
    • RE: So, How do you do it?

Are you talking about starting a company, or just general best practices concerning software engineering?

-Rez
    • It takes a lot of money and a lot of luck. ;)

Seriously though, ask someone like Mr. Mike; he's the only one here I know of who has done it.

-Rez
    • Dood that's an awfully big question - how do you run a game company????

Maybe you can help by narrowing the question down a bit? What kind of game company, for example? Do you intend to self fund or go find investors?

Since it may take a few years to really answer this question - perhaps the best piece of advice I can give is to go work at a company first, and learn some lessons, while the other questions run through the answer / iteration phase!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Yeah, haha, I didnt really think of that.
      So, lets change the question too. How do you go about starting one? I assume, like you said, through years or working I will find most answers on how to run.
      So, If I were to make a game company right now, and I only had enough for some web hosting.. and a website to go with it. What do I do from there?

And... a more meaningful for me. Yeah I want to get my own company started... eventually, I know I have a lot to learn till then. For several years I have been coming up with game ideas, putting them on paper. Not just like a little summery about a game, but the details, world setting, how is game played out, beginning and finish, I'm not the best writer but I try for the story lines as well. Currently I am typing them up. I found a very nice Article online talking about How to document game ideas. So I am using it as a guide line. But where would any of this get me? I dont feel like I will have the chance to share a game idea with a company until I have the money and resources to start me own, And I fear by that point.. maybe someone will have a similar or better idea. If not today, then tomorrow. So how does one go about getting a game idea into the hands of the industry, with out actually being there them self?
    • For someone just starting out - I'd suggest doing something really small but creative, like an iPhone app, Facebook game, or something on XBLA.

If you do it all by yourself, you just do it and you don't need to worry about anything but hope that game players like your work.

If you do it with partners, you need to do some additional legal and organization work. Mostly you have to agree on what kind of company you want to form (C corp, partnership, etc.) which affects how founders share revenue, how they are taxed, and how ownership of the company and the game can unfold over time. That in itself is a big topic, and you'll want to get some good advice from a lawyer or entrepreneurship group.

See....it's already getting complicated and you haven't written a single line of code!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot