Possible to self learn PS3 console development?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Possible to self learn PS3 console development?

Hello,

A good number of recent game job specifications state that it is advantageous or even necessary to have experience on console development.

I would like to learn and explore console development, especially on the ps3 as I am getting one very soon. :)

Recently, I came across a book titled "Programming the Cell Processor". Its link on amazon is here:
      amazon.com/Programming-Cell-Pr…Computation/dp/0136008860

The book mentioned that developing the cell processor for ps3 can be done on windows or linux. However, later on, the tools introduced by the book such as the Cell IDE are available only on the linux platform. A quick check on Google also showed that the popular cell development tools run on linux.

Hence, is it possible to code in windows for the ps3? Are there any tools like IDEs which are available for windows?

Armed with this book, a ps3 console and the correct platforms and tools, is it enough to start some meaningful graphics or game development for the console?
      This book's last few chapters covers openGL and using ogre3D for the ps3.
    • RE: Possible to self learn PS3 console development?

You can get some of the way on your own as you state above - but, many of the tools you'll need to get the full breadth of experience required by most game jobs is available only to licensed developers.

You can get a lot farther with PS2 or Xbox360, which have published development tools for people like you who want to get their feet wet.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot