Game Programming All in One by Bruno Miguel Teixeira de Sousa

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Game Programming All in One by Bruno Miguel Teixeira de Sousa

Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Yeah, that's the main reason why I didn't buy those books. They simply discuss Torque and how to use it, which is a glorified tutorial. It's not really "Game Programming All in One" it's more along the lines of "Torque Kinda-of-Sorta-Maybe". This, I find, is misleading.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • Ya, If anybody wants to develop there own engine my friend said to try this even though it is course ptr amazon.com/gp/product/15920035…-9647012?%5Fencoding=UTF8
      the link is sorta long though.
    • Thanks for the heads up on this book, Nebuchadnezzar. I was about to get this book. I'm somewhat skeptical about buy books via Internet shops becuase you never know what your getting unless you can site down and review the book first. There are a few other books mentioned here that I would like to get, but again they might be a lemons.

I did buy the Game Programming Gems (Vol: 1 - 3). The math is ..... well....BURRRR! (I'm mathematically-challenged!) I do plan on getting all of them ?(

Me.
    • In the veign of engine-books, try this one: amazon.com/gp/product/01222906…s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Excellent reference by David Eberly, as he uses his own Wild Magic engine as an example of what to do and how he did it. I don't like some of the things he goes over, however, but that's more difference of opinion than anything else. Very very good book if you're looking into writing your own game engine. He also has a few more books on various other topics, such as physics. Good stuff.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • Originally posted by Tarviathun
      In the veign of engine-books, try this one: amazon.com/gp/product/01222906…s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Excellent reference by David Eberly, as he uses his own Wild Magic engine as an example of what to do and how he did it. I don't like some of the things he goes over, however, but that's more difference of opinion than anything else. Very very good book if you're looking into writing your own game engine. He also has a few more books on various other topics, such as physics. Good stuff.

We have this book in the office and I see one of our hardcore graphics programmers reference it often. He highly recommends it. It's not for the feignt of heart, by which I mean it would make a poor intro to game programming book.

-Rez
    • Yes, you are indeed correct. It is quite hardcore. Definately a difficult read, although as far as I understand, one of the definitive books on the subject.
    • Originally posted by Tarviathun
      Yes, you are indeed correct. It is quite hardcore. Definately a difficult read, although as far as I understand, one of the definitive books on the subject.

That and it's predecessor - 3D Game Engine Design really go hand-in-hand. The older book's title is a little deceptive in my opinion because it's really more about how to derive most of your necessary functionality in a 3D environment rather than how to design games specifically. The math is about 18 feet deep, so I hope you brought floaties....

Software Engineering for Game Developers is interesting because it covers the "boring" part of game development - design docs, resource marshalling, allocation of manpower and distribution of tasks, artifacts and deliverables, etc. in a game programming light. Sort of a Code Complete for game developers.

I've been pounding my head on 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development as needed to try to get my brain around some of the others in this mini-catalog of my bookshelves.... Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics - 2nd Ed is another good math book - ack! "Good" and "math" in the same sentence!

Um - oops - sorry. Rambling again.

Rich
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."
    • Originally posted by Nebuchadnezzar
      Originally posted by Tarviathun
      Yes, you are indeed correct. It is quite hardcore. Definately a difficult read, although as far as I understand, one of the definitive books on the subject.

That and it's predecessor - 3D Game Engine Design really go hand-in-hand. The older book's title is a little deceptive in my opinion because it's really more about how to derive most of your necessary functionality in a 3D environment rather than how to design games specifically. The math is about 18 feet deep, so I hope you brought floaties....

Software Engineering for Game Developers is interesting because it covers the "boring" part of game development - design docs, resource marshalling, allocation of manpower and distribution of tasks, artifacts and deliverables, etc. in a game programming light. Sort of a Code Complete for game developers.

I've been pounding my head on 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development as needed to try to get my brain around some of the others in this mini-catalog of my bookshelves.... Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics - 2nd Ed is another good math book - ack! "Good" and "math" in the same sentence!

Um - oops - sorry. Rambling again.

Rich
      You might also like amazon.com/gp/product/15845027…s=books&v=glance&n=283155
      It is allright but math primer is a little better