Visual Stdio 2008

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Visual Stdio 2008

A recent post by Draco made me wonder... how many of you are on Visual Studio 2008? Planet Moon is still using 2005. I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade.

-Rez
    • I have been using it for a while now, I still had VS2005 installed as well for a while, but I have since un-installed it.
      In my opinion the 2008 version is better, if its worth paying for a pro copy though is up to you, how often you use it, where you are going to be using it. I mean if your working as a programmer and the rest of your team-mates are still using VS2005 you may as well do the same, if they are upgrading and paying for it..;) then go for it.. :)

I suppose if your referring to your own pc at home, then it all depends on the money you have to spend, and how much a copy will cost you. I know a few people who swore that they would never buy VS2008, that have now gone and upgraded...lol
    • I'm more wondering whether or not I should recommend it to our CTO. It's definitely not happening for this project, but perhaps for the next one. *shrug*

What do you like about it better?

-Rez
    • I've heard that most differences is "under the hood", improved compiling performance on multi-core processors amongst other things. I haven't bothered upgrading yet, since I often/mostly work on a laptop with a single-core processor at home. Would be nice to hear if people who has used VS08 have noticed any improvements though.
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • It just seems a lot smoother, better built. It compiles faster, doesn't hang as much, the intellisense has been sorted out and now works ok and doesn't interfere when it updates (something which in the 2005 version used to really do my swede in) The compiler settings have been tweaked, you no longer have to manually locate the DX SDK directory paths..a minor thing I know, but good for newbies..

There are other things, vista application wise, areo graphics etcetera, although that is probably not high on your list as a game programmer. You can choose what version of .NET framework you want to use. I'm sure there are many other things that I never use, web tech and such like. I got my copy off my dad, who has his own computer business, so I didn't actually pay for my copy..:) If I had to pay for it, I would still be using VS2005 and the express version of 2008...:)

...Oh, and most 'importantly' of all..it looks nicer..:)

j/k.. lol..:)
    • Originally posted by draco
      ...the intellisense has been sorted out and now works ok and doesn't interfere when it updates (something which in the 2005 version used to really do my swede in)...

Now that actually sounds very interesting, that's one of the few things in 2005 that really annoys me, and I didn't think that was resolved in VS08. Perhaps it's worth having another look at it after all... =)
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • Now that actually sounds very interesting, that's one of the few things in 2005 that really annoys me, and I didn't think that was resolved in VS08. Perhaps it's worth having another look at it after all... =)

lol..yeah, that was totally annoying, sometimes you could sit there for around 5 minutes, then write around 10 - 20 lines of code and it would update AGAIN..:( Other times you had to shut it down because it seemed to hang indefinitely.

As far as I am aware the intellisense thing was still a problem in the beta version, and maybe in the early release of it, but it is 100% fixed now..:)

I just looked on amazon.co.uk, they have a copy of vs2008 pro with msdn for £139..which is a bargain..:)

P.S - Rez..(or anyone for that matter) how does it work when your company has a team of programmers..? the liscenceing for VS I mean..? does the company have to buy X amount of copies at full whack..or does it depend on how many copies are needed..? or what..? Just curious..:)

The post was edited 1 time, last by draco ().

• I'm using VS2008 right now; switched from VS2005 around Christmas break. The GAM project is being written using XNA 3 (after being upgraded from starting out with 2), so VS2008 was required. So far, I like it a bit more. Everybody has pretty much already stated all of my reasons, so I'll just let them say it instead of repeating it all.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .