Review and comment on my game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Review and comment on my game

I am about 50-60% done with my game. It will probably be a slimmed down version of something like space invaders. When it is done, I would like to provide the code to anyone willing to critique it. Would anyone be interested in reviewing the source and providing me with feedback on whether the design is ok. I think getting a game to work and designing a game properly are two very different things and would like to know if I am on the correct path for the code and logical design.

Please let me know and I will prepare to send you the zipped code once I am finished with the game. I should be done sometime in the next month, hopefully.

Thanks
    • RE: Review and comment on my game

Originally posted by sosa
      I am about 50-60% done with my game...

"How to build a game: #1: Implement the first 90% of the game. #2: Implement the remaining 90% of the game!"

Can't remember who I'm quoting on this, but it's close to the truth usually, isn't it? ;)

...When it is done, I would like to provide the code to anyone willing to critique it. Would anyone be interested in reviewing the source and providing me with feedback on whether the design is ok. I think getting a game to work and designing a game properly are two very different things and would like to know if I am on the correct path for the code and logical design.

Please let me know and I will prepare to send you the zipped code once I am finished with the game. I should be done sometime in the next month, hopefully.

Don't know if I can give much advice of the sort you want, but I can have a look at it when you're done. :) I think it's much easier to look at design documents or discussing specific solutions to find out wether it's an "okay" design instead of looking at the source code directly.

What language are you implementing your game in by the way?
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • Originally posted by sosa
      Good quote, its true to boot. Everytime I think I hit a milestone, I realize how much more there is to do.

So true, I'm always setting a todo list for the next release (a release in my sense does not have to be fully working, but should be able to do all the things from the todo list) and I constantly see myself adding other important stuff to it, because it just has to be added, too.
      Making the desicions what comes into a release and what not is a really hard decision and I think it takes a lot of experience to get it right (well I guess there's no right, but something we can live and work with).
      But even if it's not perfect it still helps to see what has to be done and can give you some motivation because you have a constant feedback of what you have already accomplished and you always know what's still there to do.

Some years ago I stopped developing a small engine (originally it should be only a renderer, i.e. a thin wrapper around direct3d, but we all know how these things end...) and stopped working because I didn't write any design document, todo list, etc. and it felt like there's always coming more and more work and in the end it was so depressing that I just gave up.

I am using C++. If it makes more sense, I can publish a logical flow document along with the code.

I don't know if I have the time, but you can write me a pm if you're finished (I'll get an email notification, so I'll know it immediately). But I probably won't look at the actual code and instead I'll reverse engineer your project into Microsoft Visio and look at your design there.
      I don't think a code review/audit gains that much, if it's working and fast enough, then it's ok for a game. But as you requested looking at the design is definitely a good idea :)
    • I agree, it is indeed very difficult to get those things right, planning milestones and releases. I recently started to think more about various implementation styles to make it a bit easier, really focusing on agile development even in relatively small projects for instance to practice.

But as you say, experience over time is probably the best thing to get better at it.
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams