3D Engines: Gamebryo by NDL

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 3D Engines: Gamebryo by NDL

[IMG:images/includes/ndl.bmp]

This 3D rendering technology used to be called NetImmerse - as I wrote in the book. Funny how things change so fast.

Another recent news break - NDL is now owned by Emergent Game Technologies.

By the way the company I work for, BreakAway Games, uses Gamebryo and we love it.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Well, licensing terms, mostly. Many open source projects are released under a license that you need to also have YOUR project be open source in order to use it. Then, it's hard to charge people for a game that's open source.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • Ogre and Gamebryo are the rendering engines we're looking at very seriously to replace Renderware. The third option we're considering is to roll our own.

With Ogre, you only have to post the source code that you change. If you add a feature to the engine, you must share that feature with the community. However, any other code you write is your own.

(Disclaimber: This is my understanding based on talking with the Chief Architect. I'm not involved in the actual decision or evaluation process.)

-Rez
    • Our game takes place in an office building, so we really don't need any spectacular effects. But yeah, it's at the bottom of the list. I don't think it's happening.

-Rez
    • I'd say currently it's pretty outdated. They're working on the new TSE, but as far as I can tell, it's not really close to release. TGE is a good engine for a good price, but I wouldn't say it's something that you're going to make a commerical-level 3D game with. I mean, consider the feature sets between TGE and OGRE, say. OGRE has more active development, a bigger community, and more modern technology. Torque is an old engine that's constantly getting overhalls and really doesn't have the number of features that people consider standard these days: e.g. dynamic shadows(via stencil shadow volumes or shadow maps), bump mapping, normal mapping, a good shader-based rendering pipeline, etc etc. So, if you're looking for something to mess around with, Torque probably comes with a much better intro-level (they have a lot of tutorials, open forums) but it's not with the newest generation of engines by a long shot.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • Usually it's cost. We use one at work (AGEIA's PhysX) and it beats having to write your own, unless you're into that sort of thing.

If you're new to game programming, I would suggest writing your own. There's no better way to learn.

-Rez
    • Ogre just switched to the MIT license; this basically just says, "Merry Christmas! Here's your present and you can do whatever you want with it."

So now you can edit the source and keep your secrets to yourself. (even though it would be nice to help out)