Which books are most like Game Coding Complete?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Which books are most like Game Coding Complete?

Hey there -

The prospective new publishlier of Game Coding Complete, 3rd Edition, would like to know what books on the market now compete most closely with with GCC, and what GCC does to offer something better or different?

Any opinions out there?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • There aren't any books 'like' GCC, not in my opinion anyway.
      Well, not that i have read, and my programming book library is of a reasonable size, although i must confess to not having read or owning any of the game programming gem, or GPU gem books.

A lot of game programming books build a small working game over the course of the book, and in some cases are developed specifically for the book. While other books use allegro and such like to teach people how to get a simple sample up and running.

I think that 'Your' book is unique and in a league of its own, because of the simple fact it contains code and explanations of how things were done in 'real' games, games we have all played. It has your own experiences written in its pages, not just how things are done, but Why they are done that way.
    • Hello Mr. Mike,

some time ago I've read a book which cannot exactly be compared with yours, because you cover game design contrary to most books which only conver 3d graphics, but this book also impressed me, because it creates an engine, multiplayer ego-shooter and a 3d editor. So this book is also full with lots of interesting techniques, but the design is really bad as it is in most of the programming books.
      The title of this book is "3D Game Engine Programming" from Stefan Zerbst.
    • RE: Which books are most like Game Coding Complete?

Well the bad news is that IMHO the books like GCC are... the older versions of GCC !!

Here's what I mean...

I bought GCC1 when it first came out, and thought it was good, but since I'm only a hobbyist, not a pro, I would not have thought to buy GCC2.

When I was was away on a contract I noticed GCC2 in the bargain bin of a shop and bought it, best 10 quid I spent in a long while, but I'm still not sure I would have paid full price for it as I have barely implemented any of the lessons in GCC1 yet.

Thats the problem with doing a good job first time around, but please DON'T let this encourage you to adopt the techniques of, erm ... you know.. larger software corporations .....

BTW your new book might want to look at color keyed sprites - as far as i can tell they seem to have been royally messed up in DirectX9c.
    • I agree with Draco, it's hard to say which book is closest, but it's probably books about game engine programming and architecture. But I think your book covers areas that other books don't as well, in addition to architecture.

I find stuff like the tales from the Pixel Mines in your book entertaining and original. They are very fun and interesting to read, and at least the books I have read does not contain anything similar, so that's a strength with your book.
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • Another thing: a lot of books will only tell you 'one' way of doing something and do not explain why its done that way, other than its the authors preferred way. I think its a good idea to show several ways of doing something and explain the merits of each case(and the demerits, obviously), that way the reader isn't just blindly following the authors way of doing things but can make their own decision. I know that might be a little time consuming in the case of certain books/subjects, but i have found that 'C++ for Game Programmers 2nd Edition' is quite good in this respect.