Isometric Tilesets ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Isometric Tilesets ?

I have been playing around with isometric tiles, and up until now have been using the same set of tiles.

I'm wanting to be able to change the tileset as and when needed, and use different sized tiles when needed. So when i fire up the program again, it loads the tilesets just fine and everything is placed where it should be.

The thing that i would like suggestions for, is anchor points..What ways would you go about this ? and why?

Is there any reason why one way is better than the other. Any help would be myuch appreciated. Many thanks in adavance.
    • RE: Isometric Tilesets ?

On Ultima (I think) we used the corner of the tiles as anchor points. Even on isometric ones (with the corner being the low 'point' on the tile).

As to what advantages this gives you - I wish I could remember! I think it was to help with world coordinate calculations - but any simple transform martix would solve virtually any calculation problem you could come up with.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Well - Ultima always used Cartesian coordinates to represent world space, but when the coordinates were translated to screen space the visible axes were no longer mutually perpendicular, which I guess makes the screen space system Affine.

Now, before you go thinking that I must be some kind of Math whiz, I'm not. Google is. Or rather, Google THINKS Steven Wolfram is.

mathworld.wolfram.com/AffineCoordinates.html
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot