Man do I hate _RPC_'s

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Man do I hate _RPC_'s

I just wanted to say Mike "Game Coding Complete" is an AWESOME book!

On another note, not that I was originally gonna post about this or anything ;), I can't get the code to compile.

This may just be a VS2008 thing as I had the same errors trying to get another project I downloaded to compile.

The errors all involve "_RPC_" in their name and they look something like this:

>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\dimm.h(335) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__deref_out_opt'
      1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\dimm.h(339) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__out'
      1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\dimm.h(446) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__deref_out_opt'
      1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\dimm.h(450) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__out'
      1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\dimm.h(557) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__deref_out_opt'
      1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\dimm.h(561) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__out'
      1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\dimm.h(668) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__in'
      1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\dimm.h(674) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__in'
      1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\dimm.h(767) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__in'
      1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v6.0a\include\dimm.h(770) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__out'

Ugly huh?

I'm not sure what to do as I checked and I do actually have that file and I'm not sure exactly what it has a problem with.

Any takers?
    • RE: Man do I hate _RPC_'s

There's probably an incompatibility in the headers somewhere.

I'd start commenting out header file inclusions until you see the problem go away - and then dial in exactly which header is causing the problem.

It might help to turn off precompiled headers, too.

VS2008, huh - you might start a thread telling us if it is worth the upgrade.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • When you are ready to post it, let me grab it and I'll put it up here on the site - your account probably has space limitations.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Has anyone been using 2008 much? Like Mike, I'm curious if it's worth the upgrade.

-Rez