building the game code on linux

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• building the game code on linux

i apologize if this is posted somewhere already, but has anyone gone to the trouble of building and running the code from the book (including teapot wars) in a linux environment?

i am currently working on this, but was wondering if someone already had a makefile written.
    • As you said, reading through it and getting an understanding of how he has everything architected. Presumably you can run this under WINE, though I'm no Linux user. Though I'm not too sure how this would help development on Linux.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tarviathun ().

• RE: building the game code on linux

Someone could first port the graphics to OpenGL - that would be a lot easier...and then make the jump to Linux less work.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I would first de-couple the DX stuff from the rest of the code, then write OpenGL equvilents. After that moving to Linux should be quite easy, if you have build Linux stuff before. For example....

class IRendererImplementation
      {
      Init();
      DrawIndexedTriangleList(.....) etc etc
      SetMaterial( .... ) etc etc
      }

class CDirectX public IRendererImplementation
      {....

then later make ...

class COpenGL public IRendererImplementation