Frame Rate

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it just me , or is the frame rate out of control in this game. It starts around 250 and quickly moves up to 300 frames per second. 60 FPS is what we want, right? This high frame rate seems to make the controls really touchy. I am guessing that if I could get the frame rate down to 60, the controls would be very smooth. What do you think?
      n00b
    • hehe, not so often the problem is too high fps rate. I'd say there should not be any difference with the controls or the graphics if there are 60, 300 or even 1000 fps, as long as you consider frame-time in the update-routine.

60 fps is a target that you should stay above if possible. Because if the monitor is running 60hz there is no (/should not be any) difference between 60 and 1000 fps. You can lock the fps rate to 60, but that makes it harder(/impossible?) to measure the performance of the algorithms that you implement.

When you have completed developing the game, you should lock the FPS though, sinces the extra frames above the monitor frequency only is a waste of CPU/GPU cycles.
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • If you're looking to lock the frame-rate at a decent speed (e.g. 60fps) you could try enabling vsync. The frame rate is then a factor of the refresh rate which is commonly 60-75Hz, which is a good range to be locked at.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .