GDC 2007; meet up?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GDC 2007; meet up?

Is anyone besides Mike, Kain, and myself planning on attending GDC next month? Want to meet up somewhere?

-Rez
    • Nice! My office is just down the street from the convention, so it's pretty convenient for us. If you want to meet up somewhere (suite night?), just let me know and we can set something up. Or come find me, I'm pretty easy to spot. I have longish bright orange hair.

-Rez
    • I have no idea what suite night is (I'm a freshman, so it's my first time coming to GDC) but I'm up for whatever -- chilling out after what I expect will be the insanity of GDC, or waxing programmatical. (see what I did there?)

Definitely not expecting to be bored at any point, but I wanna meet up with as many people as possible and make the most of it as long as I'm flying across the country. 8)
    • Suite Night is the Thursday night drink fest! A bunch of big companies host parties in the suits at some hotel (the W I think, which is across the street from the Moscone center where GDC will be) and the lobby will be full of drunken developers. I'm definitely going.

Maybe I should post my photo and let people come find me. Like I said, I'm easy to spot. ;)

-Rez
    • We could meet up at Suite Night, for sure...

Rez since you are the local guy do you mind setting a meeting place? I get f-ing lost like crazy every time I got to SF so I'm the last guy that should do it!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • What hotel are you staying at? t's just south of market so there are places all around there. The metreon is always fun if you've never been there and I think they have a coffee shop. If not, there's a cozy little Starbucks on 3rd & Market.

-Rez
    • Travel update:

Well, I'm all checked in and squared away at the Monticello. It's a really nice place, if you ever need a place to stay in SF, I would recommend it. First hotel I've ever stayed where the water pressure was as good as at home!

I checked out the Metreon today, pretty neat place. Really futuristic.

I set up a profile on GDConnect, so you can contact me that way, or you can gmail me (same username).

I'm gonna be at the Indie Game Summit tomorrow and Tuesday, unless I spot something more interesting.

Also, I protest that you can't put "me" for the "biggest threat to the world" category on your GDConnect profile.

Edit: Oh yeah, you would probably need my name for GDConnect... Michael Harrington

The post was edited 1 time, last by kibiz0r ().

• You mean the cool coffee shop bar thing with the comfy couches? That place is great.

What day is good? I'm pretty free Tuesday and Thursday....
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • We have a company meeting on Tuesday evening, but I should be free during the day for a bit.

kibiz0r: There's a really good noodle place in the metreon that I have lunch at every couple weeks. They have awesome Won Ton Soup!

I'll send you both a PM with my cell number. Anyone else planning to be around, send me a PM or post here and I'll do the same. We can meet up somewhere.

-Rez
    • I just thought of something.... Death Guild is tonight. Anyone in seeing some underground San Francisco culture should come with me to Death Guild tonight. Death Guild is the longest running goth club in the US, and possibly the world. It runs every Monday night starting around 10:00pm and it's only a few blocks from the convention center. It's probably not your scene, but you should check it out anyway. I guarantee you it'll be different. ;)

-Rez
    • Yes, different is good. But it's tonight so you'll miss it. There's probably another goth/industrial club happening sometime this week if you're interested.

The place is called Long Life Noodle:
      westfield.com/metreon/ourstores/details/29301/

-Rez
    • It's been hell keeping up with internet stuff. My hotel connection is so slow I expected an audible modem screech.

I wish I had read this yesterday. I would've liked some local music culture -- there's only one decent place in my hometown, and it seldom has things that aren't just glorified screaming. Er, that isn't what you meant by goth, is it?

kibiyama.stumbleupon.com/about/
      Good cross-section of what I listen to.

I'll be keeping an eye out for orange-haired people tomorrow at the booth crawl. It'll be hilarious to see some random guy's response to "rezination?"
    • You should have no trouble locating me. I'll be wearing crazy cammo pants (alpanflage) and a Super-Ego Games t-shirt. In fact, here are some recent pictures of me:

anaka.eye-of-newt.com/pictures…eople/RezandAliciasVisit/

I'll definitely be at the booth crawl for a bit before heading for the Thirsty Bear. If you miss me then, I'll also be at Suite Night. :)

-Rez
    • Yes, that's an xkcd shirt. Nice catch! Most people don't know it. :)

Well, that was a hell of a first day. Lots of booth crawling, some good lectures, and a fun night of wandering around SF with Mike, Kain, and kibiz0r (plus other random people). At one point, me (which orange hair), another programmer (with blue hair), and a trainer (with pink hair) were all walking around the expo floor. We got interviewed by GDC staff about what we thought of the conference. In fact, they stopped us specifically because of our crazy hair. I ended being a spokesman for GDC, giving it huge praise. Such fun! Who knows, maybe we'll all be internet famous!

Later that night, I got my picture taken with two Scout Troopers in front of the W hotel. They were just randomly standing there. The costuming was excellent!

I love this industry.

-Rez
    • Soooo, I saw some of you with cameras. Any cool GDC pictures to show? I didn't have a camera, but one of the people I met up with sent me a picture, so here it is. I'm the one in the middle with the orange hair.

bleachkitty.com/images/gdc/AaaronRezKaren01sm.jpg

-Rez