flickering

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I get some pretty major screen flickering when I get teapot wars(or anything using this engine) running in release mode without debug. With debug on everything runs smoothly.

Its almost as if its not using backbuffers, but I don't understand why it wouldn't be. I have a very old nvidia card, but it works on all other games, so it shouldn't be the hardware. Not sure what other information you might need but I could use some help

Thanks,
      B
    • Hmmm, oddly enough it must be the hardware because the same executable works on the campus computers. I noticed in another thread someone having problems with nvidia chips and just curious if anyone ever fixed their problems with that.

Oh, and I already have the latest drivers.

The post was edited 1 time, last by daglamier22 ().

• nVidia does have a driver archive for you, if you're so inclined. I'm not sure where it is, but I remember that I needed older drivers when I got ahold of the Doom 3 beta *cough*. But yeah, there's an archive somewhere on their site.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • Ok, the drivers didn't help any, and I had to show it to my teacher at class today on yet another set of computers, and it flickered on these computers as well(Radeon 9800s i think). Very confused as to why it does this. When the screen moves you can actually see the program flip between the new frame and the old frame for a second and then it gets back into sync. Does this have anything to do with the triple buffering by any chance?
    • Yeah, try turning off triple buffering. Maybe something wonky is going on there. Also, I don't have the code or book in front of me so I can't recall if Teapot Wars waits for vsync to render. If not, make sure it does (though that typically causes more of a scene tearing issue than flickering). Speaking of which, what refresh rate are you using? Query the device and check, even if you think it's something else. Does this happen in fullscreen & windowed mode? Are you using the debug versions on the DirectX DLL's or the standard release ones when you run it?

-Rez