Collecting games stats

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Collecting games stats

Hi guys,

There is a gaming cafe looking to develop software (web I think) that will keep track of user stats from games. Is there a way to collect stats from a specific game and store them in a database? Some games such as "Americans Army" does collect stats, but I would imagine that would be retrievable only by their developers. Any ideas on how to go about doing something like this?

Thanks

Me.
    • RE: Collecting games stats

It would have to be pretty gamespecific (at least the piece that actually pulls the stats). Some games (like possibly America's Army) may store the stats on a master server, in which case you may be able to simply send the right request to it and get what you need back (which may or may not be easy at all). Other games may store it in some form on the actual PC.

Tracking stats for a game that doesn't already track stats, though? Getting more than total runtime will be next to impossible, especially without breaking the license. The CD protection schemes often make hooking into the executable very very difficult.

Otherwise, you can use packet sniffers... which I've never done, and you'd have to manually figure out what each packet means (and they may be encrypted... but probably aren't). There are people who enjoy doing that, but I can't imagine it. If this is project you are considering doing by yourself, I'd boot up an example game, grab a packet sniffer, and see what you find.

The nice thing about a packet sniffer is that you can sniff the whole network from anywhere on it (usually). This means you don't need the tracking software on every computer (hardly a concern anyway, though)
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com

The post was edited 1 time, last by Larrik ().

• RE: Collecting games stats

Originally posted by DarkPenguin
      I would think that this is game specific. Some games i know of allow for data retreival through scripts (i'm thinking lua). The question is more of how to retrieve the data from a specific game.

This is what Barbie/RatRace do, although we don't store stats on a server. Every game-specific variable is in Lua, so it's a simple matter to dump them to a log file or the console window (ie, stdout). Same with engine variables, like FPS or AI state.

-Rez
    • I was thinking that some games like "Americans Army", "UnReal Tournament", Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, etc.
      might allow someone to grab stats (Player kills, scores, Deaths, etc.) and send that info to some file. Anyway, I told the guys at the gaming cafe that it may be difficult if not mpossible to do.

Me

Ok, so now where is Kain.... oh and Rez?