Math for game programmers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Math for game programmers

I'm pretty weak when it comes to the intense math part of programming. I've decided that I've lived with this crutch long enough and it's time to catch up on all this stuff. Browsing around Amazon I noticed a few books that were tailored specifically to 3D math and game programming. Here's one:
      amazon.com/gp/product/15562291…s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Does anyone have any recomendations? Has anyone read this particular book?

-Rez
    • RE: Math for game programmers

here, this one: Mathematics and Physics for programmers.

amazon.com/gp/product/15845033…s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I took a quick look at it in a local library and seems very good. It has some nice reviews too.
      The author does a catch up in the first 3 chapters like algebra and trig., and then goes to the stuff that many 3d math books start with (vectores and matrices).

Hi,

If the "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development" or "Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics," is for amatures like myself, I just might pick me up a copy. I too have been living with a crutch when it comes to wirtting little graphics demos. I think its about time I do something about it too.

I think some math books should come with a warning label; "Warning this book may cause: Involuntary loss of bodily functions, including but not limited to drooling, left parietal epilepsy, sweeting, rapid eye movement, involuntary loud explicatives, bodily spasmodic contortions, vomiting, sever itching, dizziness, irritable bowel syndrome, compulsive behaviors, violate physical outbursts including third metacarpal digit extension, blotting, involuntary trembling, foot rash, numb lips and low sperm count. If you should experience any of these symptoms, consult your family physician."

S.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sabrina ().

• This might help...here's a list of math books and reviews from Gamedev.net:

gamedev.net/columns/books/books.asp?CategoryID=13

I actually ended up picking up "Mathematics for Game Developers" a while ago but found it's most helpful with at least a basic understanding of algebra, etc. I'm by no means strong in it but there are some issues with the book (such as his notation of the dot product and cross product being identical 8o) but overall doesn't seem too bad.

gamedev.net/columns/books/book…oductid=405&CategoryID=13

I also picked up the physics one from the same publisher (actually I think I have all but one book in the series). So far I have not been disappointed. I'd recommend checking the reviews of the books at the link to gamedev and see if that helps :).

hehe. Its nice to see someone caught that joke. I was starting to wounder if people here have a sence of humor. :)

The weirdest math function I ever saw was a function that would determine if Friday the 13th fell in a year and which month it fell in. You gotta think for a moment WHY that would be so important. Gotta admire those math guys!

S.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sabrina ().

• Hehehe. That was funny.

Oh.
      Sorry.
      I forgot the rule.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Game programming without humor is like playing ET on the Atari 2600. No one should be subjected to it.

-Rez
    • I don't think there's any kind of programming or any sort of job that doesn't require humor.

What I really had to reply to was the E.T. game bashing. It did suck, I agree but my mother recently found the ol' family atari set in the basement so we set it up this passed Easter for some good old time family fun. We play each cartridge for at least a few minutes and i can now say the worse game every released for that system was the Chuckwagon game. This stinker was based on the TV ad that showed a puppy chasing the dog food company chuckwagon through the kitchen.

I got the game for a birthday gift from an aunt. I think the company gave the game with 3 proofs of purchase on the 12 ton bag of food

So lay off the guy that did E.T he had no time to do it in
    • Yeah, six weeks is unreal..... I wasn't bashing the programmer, I was bashing the game. We all know what unrealistic schedules can do to a game. 8)

I've never even heard of the Chuckwagon game. I shall have to google that....

-Rez