Some errors on compile

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Some errors on compile

So eveything opened nicely in VC++. I installed the Novodex SDK, as well as the DX9 SDK. I've setup the debugging environment as per the instructions. Now when I try to build (TeapotWars), I get these errors over and over for about 7 different files:

Source Code

1. Compiling...
      2. dxstdafx.cpp
      3. c:\GameCode v2.1\Source\DX9Common\DXUTmisc.h(113) : error C2504: 'D3DXFONT_DESC' : base class undefined
      4. c:\GameCode v2.1\Source\DX9Common\DXUTmisc.h(145) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ',' before '*'
      5. c:\GameCode v2.1\Source\DX9Common\DXUTMesh.h(71) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPD3DXFILEDATA'
      6. c:\GameCode v2.1\Source\DX9Common\DXUTMesh.h(128) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPD3DXFILEDATA'
      7. c:\GameCode v2.1\Source\DX9Common\DXUTMesh.h(130) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPD3DXFILEDATA'

Did I miss something?
    • ok, from reading that other post of yours, it looks like you are using the latest code, which is good.

Those compile errors are basically complaining about missing DirectX declarations. You already have DirectX 9 installed, but is your dev environment looking at the proper DirectX paths? If you recently re-installed VS.Net 2003 as you said in that other thread, then there is a good chance that your DirectX paths may have been erased from your VS.NET 2003 settings. When you install the DirectX SDK, it alters paths in your current install of VS.NET 2003 to include the proper DirectX-specific symbols such as D3DXFONT_DESC and LPD3DXFILEDATA.

Here's what I have in my VS.NET 2003 Tools->Options->Projects->VC++ Directories with reguards to DirectX:

Executeable Files
      C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (August 2005)\Utilities\Bin\x86

Include Files:
      C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (August 2005)\Include

Library Files:
      C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (August 2005)\Lib\x86

Do you have those, too?
    • Hey Kain,

Thanks for the reply. I had those include/lib directories added to VC++, and I still got the errors. You had said the DirectX SDK automatically defines the proper symbols (the ones I'm having problems with), so I went ahead and reinstalled DirectX 9 SDK (the complete version). I figured maybe this would repair my VC++ since I had reinstalled VC++ after I installed DX9. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same errors. I'm sure I have my DirectX directories setup properly in VC++. Yes, I'm using the 2.1 BETA source. I'm not sure what's wrong. :(

I appreciate the help.

-Ryan
    • Maybe you have an old DirectX in your include path, or DirectX isn't above the platform SDK include?

Here's what mine looks like:
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot