Studio Express anyone?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Studio Express anyone?

I've been a C/C++ programmer for 15+ years, but never on Windows. Compiling Teapot Wars is my first Windows attempt.

Since I did not have a compiler, I installed Studio Express Beta 2 C++ from Microsoft (hey, it's free). I also installed the Windows SDK, Direct X SDK, and all the other SDK's listed in the readme file.

When I try to compile, the first error that I run into is unable to find atltypes.h. In the Windows SDK directory tree I see an atl directory, but no atltypes.h file (I also searched my entire hard drive for atltypes.h).

I would have expected ATL and MFC to be part of the Windows SDK. However, in the Express C++ FAQ it explicitly states that ATL and MFC are not supported in the Express versions of Studio.

Am I missing something, or do I have to shell out some $'s to get ATL/MFC? Is it be worth trying to develop without ATL and MFC, or would I be setting myself up for lots of grief?

Are there any other gotcha's when using Studio Express?
    • After poking around a bit, I found that I can get Visual C++ .NET 2003 Standard. This product has MFC and ATL, but not an optimizing compiler. I can get the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 that has an optimizing compiler, but no MFC or ATL. Argh!

So the questions are, can I compile and link with the Toolkit compiler using MFC and ATL from Visual C++ Standard? And also use the debugger from Standard on code compiled by the Toolkit?
    • That is a great point!

Consulting I've seen a lof code that looks as though the original author spend no time at all thinking the containers for the job, the right search routine, etc
      I'm not saying you need to study for days before coming up with something but a little thought can boost a system greatly.

Remember, computers are very fast and memory is pretty easily at hand but user's expectations are higher too so that means bigger software systems, more features that better run quick. In this day and age most Windows based systems, anyway, have a ton of programs running in the task bar. (I blame this as a major cause of people saying Windows is slow and bloated memory beast). A lot of these things that are just cute little icon on the task bar, to most folks, are written as though they are the only thing running consuming a lot of resources in the process

*** End mini rant before it becomes a full rant ***

gb
    • I think that Windows is a slow and bloated memory hog, but you're right in that there are ways that a user can minimize this. And I develop almost exclusively on Windows platforms....

It would be really cool if Microsoft would spend time speeding up and streamlining the internal workings of their OS. I mean, that would rock! Hey, a guy can dream!
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."