Good starting books for an hungry newbie

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Good starting books for an hungry newbie

Hi guys this is my first time writing this is a great site
      I am a newbie and to tell u the truth that means that I know almost nothing of C++. I really want to learn so if u could recomend me a book or anything from which I can learn to program and then make the big step to make a game. Thanks

The post was edited 1 time, last by jona ().

• RE: Good starting books for an hungry newbie

Well, first you should know that learning C++ and learning to program are two different things. There are tons of good "learn C++" books out there, but the "learn to program" aspect is a bit tougher.

As a general rule, if it's published by O'Reily, its a good book. They usually survive very well as references, too.

You might consider a book like oreilly.com/catalog/cplus2/
      or
      oreilly.com/catalog/1932111263/
      but I haven't read either of them. I actually learned to program in Java initially, taught by the creator of javabook.org. The C book I learned from was "Pointers on C" (amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/deta…v=glance&s=books&n=507846),
      which is good, but a bit pricey (and small for its price). The C++ book I used was C++ From the Ground Up, which was essentially stolen from a friend. amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/deta…v=glance&s=books&n=507846
      It's decent enough.

I'm beginning to worry this reply isn't helping you. Basically, whatever book you DO choose, read the pointers chapter over and over until you are 100% knowledgable on them, because they are everything in C/++
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • There are plenty of great books for any programming language. I suggest hanging out in a book store and flipping through the books thoroughly to see if any book speaks to you. It is good to have one good C++ reference book in your library.

The one C++ book that people consider the definitive source is by the creator of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup.
      research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html
      research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html
    • Stroustrup's book is good, but if you are looking for a book to learn C++ from, I'd say there are much better books out there. His book is better as a desktop reference.

Here's just my small list of books that I used when I was learning C++:

Jamsa's C/C++ Programmer's Bible (now known as the C/C++/C# Programmer's Bible).
      Deitel and Deitel's C++: How to Program, 3rd Edition.
    • lol i was just goofing off with the avator thing, i'll change it again tonight so i stop scaring everyone

my bad, i read through the thread and didn't see it mentioned...

Yeah it's not a very good book to learn it from... Deitel's book is great for begginers, it was recommended in my class instead of the regular text book, but i used stroustrup's when I wasn't sure on things.
      Mark A. Drake [mark.a.drake@onslaughtgd.com]
      [size=1]OnSlaught Game Development (onslaughtgd.com)
      Java Media Concepts (javamediaconcepts.com)[/size]

• Here's just my small list of books that I used when I was learning C++:

Jamsa's C/C++ Programmer's Bible (now known as the C/C++/C# Programmer's Bible).
      Deitel and Deitel's C++: How to Program, 3rd Edition.

Jasmsa's C/C++/C# bible is my favorite. It's really consise and it's easy to just skim past a lengthy explaination of a topic. It's definitly for people that learn quickly and get board with all the BS in Sam's learn (insert language here) in 21 days. Though i wish it went into more depth on the bigger topics such as polymorphism, STL, and Windows API(it had no mention of MFC).
      .Code
      push you ; haha!
    • I disagree about learning C++ with Jamsa's C/C++ Bible. In my opinion, it goes into way too much detail for a programming newbie and it may be a bit intimidating.

Don't get me wrong, my copy of this book is the second most worn book I own (the first being Sam's Teach yourself Game Programming in 21 Days by Andre LaMothe). It's the best C++ reference I've ever seen. However, I don't think it's a good book for learning.

Most of my colleages swear by the C++ Primer, though it didn't really thrill me. You may want to check it out anyway.

Just my two cents....
    • could always take one of the classes on c++ as well...

i've been more productive in classes then just reading the book at looking at the examples and questions provided (and answered) for me

gameinstitute and things like that, i'm not sure what the prices are and i haven't heard any reviews from people i know about it...

that gets me on another subject, anybody here take any courses with them or any of these other online game course related websites?
      Mark A. Drake [mark.a.drake@onslaughtgd.com]
      [size=1]OnSlaught Game Development (onslaughtgd.com)
      Java Media Concepts (javamediaconcepts.com)[/size]