Need help creating a program

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Need help creating a program

I need to create a program that will do the following

1. make a phone call through an ordinary telephone line

2. be able to record the incoming voice and save to an audio file (wav, mp3, etc.)

3. be able to scedule a call to start at a certain time and day

4. have a touch pad to input an extension

is there anyone out there that can help me? Please! I need this for my buisness within 2 months. I am a begginer in C++ (the language i want to use) but i learn everyting extremely easy. Please help!!!
    • RE: Need help creating a program

Well, you'll need to access the voice capabilities of your modem somehow. This would need to be researched by you. In the process, you would probably learn how to tap into the raw sound data, and then you can save it somehow. Saving it raw will probably work, depending on the incoming format of the sound. Also, you can pick a sound library to save smaller files, and for that I would suggest OGG by Vorbis.

Scheduling a call isn't TOO difficult, but you need to either have the program running at all times (which means you need to make sure you have no memory leaks and that its not going to be eating up too much power while waiting for its time to shine. Alternatively, you can add it to some scheduler program already running on your computer, which will call your program when needed.

Do you mean a software touch pad or a hardware one?

We'll help with what we can, but this isn't really our professed area. Just take it one piece at a time.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • RE: Need help creating a program

There are tons of automated telephony solutions out there - have you searched for an off the shelf solution?

A quick Google search found ModemSpy .

Maybe you could use something like that - but be warned there are legal issues surrounding recording telephone conversations. You'd better do some research before you launch that technology!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I AM curious as to how useful the program is by your current description. If it's calling people automatically, what are the people receiving the calls going to hear? I kind of assumed you were calling an automated line, am I correct?

What exactly is your job title there, anyway?
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • well i need to record a conference call, it needs a dial pad to enter the code to get in, and yes it is automated but the conference call has a spokesperson that reps from my buisness listen to, you don't need to talk in the call, it is just basicly a training call.

And my job is a VOIP distributer
    • What you're asking for is not a trivial solution, and it looks like you might just need to find a combined API/hardware solution that interfaces your C++ code with a phone line via a customized PBX.

The customized PBX would take the form of a special hardware modem that plugs into the PCI slot of your computer.
      intel.com/design/network/products/telecom/index.htm

The API that you use would be made specifically for the hardware that you choose. Might I suggest CT Media?
      resource.intel.com/telecom/support/ctmedia/

There might be a way to do this by buying parts at your local electronics store, but as far as I know, this type of thing (Phone line interface to custom C++ programs) does not really exist in the open source space, nor does it exist for mass market consumers.

BTW, I used to work for Dialogic, which is now a part of Intel. If you ever run into an Austrailian named John Crook, tell him Kain sent ya. :) They also provide Consulting Services to implement the technology for you quickly and painlessly, if you're interested.
    • That modem spy software does not have scheduling and that is the third most important feature in this software. If this can't be done in c++ what other language can it be done in? and if I buy a voice modem will it come with anything helpful in making this software? Also when i say schedule a call to be done at a certain time of day i mean calling a specific number, entering a password after a certain amount of time, and recording the call without me being there. To access the sound capabilites of a modem would I use a SDK or is it some kind of I/O address? And a tape recorder doesn't work for scheduling.

Thanks for the help.

---------------------------------------
      Coding Modding and Games here

The post was edited 1 time, last by flyingarrett ().

• Honestly, I've been out of the loop for the last five years, but here is the documentation:
      resource.intel.com/telecom/sup…tmedia211/app_gde_prn.pdf

Last time I was there, we were working on a Java version of the SDK so who knows how far they've gotten with that. But to answer one of your questions, yes, you use the CTMedia SDK to convert voice recordings into ADPCM wav files for storage on the hard drive of the computer. You also use the SDK to dial numbers and enter touch tone passwords after X number of seconds. Scheduling is something you can do with C code outside of the SDK.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kain ().

• Kain looks to have solved the hardest of your issues. Scheduling isn't too hard, you can probably just have the program sleep for 3/4 of the time you actually want it to wait, with it continuously doing that until you pass the time you want the call to go out.

Both UNIX and Windows have built-in schedulars, too, though I don't know how to use the Windows one. I'd consider using BOTH systems, and having your program be smart enough to not run a second copy of itself if it's already running.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • i have tryed other programs with the windows scheduling and you can't put in a telephone number for it to call when its time to run comes. Also you cannot tell it to record once it makes a call and you cannot tell it to input another number after a certain amount of time.

Hey Kain,
      Where do I go to download that CTMedia thing you were talking about and how much does it cost?
    • Originally posted by flyingarrett
      i have tryed other programs with the windows scheduling and you can't put in a telephone number for it to call when its time to run comes. Also you cannot tell it to record once it makes a call and you cannot tell it to input another number after a certain amount of time.

Well, you'd write your program so it works. Probably using a config file or something.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com