DirectX

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Could someone recommend a really great directx book? In chapter 6 of Game Coding Complete I realized I only understood about 1/3 - 1/2 of the code because my experience with directx is very small.
      Specifically I would like the book to cover all sorts of 2d stuff and input but anything else is great too.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    • RE: DirectX

I may be speaking out of my ass here, but LaMothe's "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" and its sequel are exactly what you are looking for. (each book is a thousand pages) They cover DirectX for input, 2d, 3d, and probably other stuff (I still haven't finished it)
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been

Because the question was about starting in 2D direct x I suggested LaMothe's first book but if and when you wanted 3D, 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0. is better them LaMothe's 3d book

no

LaMothe's 3d book teaches you how to do 3d for yourself (not an awful idea) in order to jump start the process and get primitives he needs he uses code from his 1st book. The 2d code gets only a quick once over as far is explaination and can be found on the cd

3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 teaches 3d programming using Direct3D