API's

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm trying out wxWindows instead of getting a book on Win32 GDI programming. The problem is, it simply isn't working.

Should I bother to go through the effort to get wxWindows working? Would it be more benficial to use a cross-platform API like this one, or to learn Win32 despite its complete lack of portability.

What do you guys think?
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • So I just went up to the wxWidgets Home page, and I have a couple of first impressions:

1. There are a lot of spelling errors on the site - this might not seem like a big deal, but any serious development effort, open source or not, should have an eye toward quality. It made me curious about their code, you know?

2. Not compatible with STL - this is unfortunate, and shows something of a "not invented here" mentality. They do have a good excuse about STL not supported similarly by all compilers, so maybe this isn't such a big deal, but Boost C++ seems to get away with it just fine....

3. Cross Platform development support - seems to be a winner deal right? Well - with 98% of all desktops in the world running Windows, I wonder what the return on this will be if you are really going for a cross platform play. There are tons of well supported Unix based GUI libraries, that lots of programmers know right now. Why learn something else???

4. C# is pretty easy to learn, even by a C++ fanatic such as myself. It is just too freaking easy to code a client/server doodad with a database backend and an ASP.NET frontend application in a few hours. No I'm not kidding. The wxWidgets site seems to say you should be wary of C#, .NET, etc. But can they do the same thing? Are they that complete of an API? I'm not so sure.

Those are just dumb first impressions, too. I didn't actually download the thing. Maybe someone can take some time and give it a good review, and address my concerns.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Heh, I couldn't get the damned thing to compile under Visual Studio or Bloodshed DevC++, so I stopped dealing with it. (Plus I stopped working on that project as it was because I had a ridiculous amount of trouble getting my installer program to create an administrative user in XP, as I think I mentioned in a different thread).
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • My current project is using SDL (my partner in the project is a Linux user) as I mentioned in a different thread. They have some Widgets-type libraries for it, which we probably won't use since we are not making an application (we're making a game).

Of course, I'm currently implementing a crazy scripting engine from scratch while my partner is handling the graphics, so I'm out of the graphics loop altogether for a little while.

Mr. Mike, a glowing recommendation for C# and .NET from a game developer? I'm pretty impressed. If I go back to that previous project again, I may have to check that out.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • what files?
      I just went to their web page and I have to say I'm impressed with how things have moved along since the last time I looked. They have a grid control now for one thing. Think I'll give it a download and try