IDE's

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do you guys use to develop software? I use VC++ 6, but it crashes on my constantly (like every third build, it'll just hang forever for no reason). I have a monster machine, so I don't know what the problem is. Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement (unless one of you knows how to make it not crash, which I doubt). What do you guys use? Suggest?

Howabout you professionals, what do the pro's like to use?
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • I use slick edit but do you have the processor pack installed? that has caused me problems

you may also want to check for dependance problems if you're running a multiple project workspace. that one still bites me on .NET 2003

gb
    • I've been using VC.NET since before it came out - my studio got advance copies since we were working for Microsoft. I haven't had too much trouble with it crashing, etc. but I remember VC6 crashed on me all the time.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I use the biggest POS PC (I'm not giving specs as it's too embarassing) and run VC6, but I can't remember the last time that it crashed. I'm guessing you have tried re-installing it?

OT: Can't wait till I get my own comp in a few weeks. Finally.
    • Quite often Visual Studio .NET 2003 crashes when I open multi-project solution. Once I re-start it the solution loads up fine.

Everything else (that I use) works better then under v6. I do my text editing with SlickEdit so I may miss other problems
    • I should probably point out that the only alternative offered to me was SlickEdit.

I haven't tried reinstalling yet, I guess I could try that.

These projects are about as small as a Win32 API (no MFC) project can be, and the crash seems completely unrelated to the actual project. My only guess is that since I have dual processors, the build process gets put over to the other CPU, and the main process never hears back from it. I mean, the hang happens at SOME point between me clicking the button and the build being recognized as "finished" or "failed", but it's happened at every point there is between there (linker, builder, after its all done, etc.), so it seems to not be related to any of them. I shoudl probably note that if I were to just keep building over and over, without changing a damn thing, it would crash sometimes, and let it go sometimes. The dual processor thing seems unlikely, though...

I'll see if I can grab a hold of a trial copy of VC.Net and see if that floats my boat.

So...no one uses Borland?
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • Originally posted by Larrik
      So...no one uses Borland?

Only occasionally when I have a bug that VC is not picking up or when I want to run something lighter. Also I didn't like the way it went to the command line at ver 5 so I'm using an outdated version, which sux. So I stick to VC.
    • RE: An IDE solution

A really good IDE should be able to use any compiler - gcc, Intel, MS, whatever.... does this one?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • RE: An IDE solution

Originally posted by Larrik
      i'm trying out the IDE from bloodshed.net/ and I'm liking it. It's completly free, and uses the gcc compiler

*big grin* Do you like the "New Look" toolbar theme?
    • I've found both vc6 and vs.net can be stable and unstable. The latter seems "more" stable but the first edition of vs.net was just a killer pig of a program. vs.ne 2003 is definitely usable, and there are many features of it below the gui that make it much more worthwhile than vs6 or the initial vs.net release.

I'm looking forward with fear, loathing, and anticipation for the vs.net 2005 release as I am hoping that it cleans up more things in the tool but afraid of what new stuff will break existing mechinisms.

One thing I have noticed with vs6 is that it is particularly vulnerable to system dll files that are not the versions it wants ... so make sure that your system PATH doesn't put any of those as available to it. Also make sure to be running sp5 and the proc pack for dev6. I don't know if sp6 for vs6 is worthwhile as I had stopped using it before sp6 came out.

luck
    • It wasn't so much that it crashed....it would hang waiting for the compiler/linker to return, and for some reason it never got that message. My best guess is that my 2nd processor would run the compiler, and somehow the message never got back to the first processor.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • Are you running any third party plugins with VC6? WndTabs, Visual Assist, etc ? Maybe it's one of these other plugins that's making VC6 unstable?

I personally use VC 7.1 (Visual Studio .NET 2003) and it was running very stable until I installed Visual Assist and a third party source control plug in.