where to go

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm working on a project that will require Perl and SQL, but my experiences with the two of them so far have been minor. Specifically, I haven't found a good resource for SQL yet, and I don't know Perl well enough to plan large scale programs in it. For example, in C++/Java, you would divide your program into Objects, in C you could use seperate files, etc. Perl, I have no idea.

What I am asking is if any of you know any good resources (websites OR books) that you would like to share. I was going to post this in the Books Forum under Resources, but apparently I am not allowed to.

BTW...it's been a long time since anyone has posted here, I hope this sparks things up a little bit.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • Why Perl, why not PHP? ... unless 90% of your code is going to be using Regular Experssions or something. :D

With your current knowlege the transition to PHP will be much quicker than if you were to learn how to code in Perl.

edit: Doh, didn't read it properly the first time I guess. I'm now guessing your working on a team and that's why you can't use PHP?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gerry ().

• I've got to agree - PHP is a superior web development language, if you're on the UNIX side of the tracks. If you are going Windoze, then I'd suggest ASP.NET / C#.

The book I've been using for PHP/MySQL is PHP and MySQL Web Development by Welling and Thomson.

Just so you know, this web site is PHP and MySql.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • RE: where to go

Do you have a copy of Programming Perl?
      How about Learning Perl?

I'm pretty good at Perl if you need specific help

Perl supports OOPS in a strange sort of why but if you haven't got a strong hold of Perl syntax you may be better off using a modular non OOPS structure

CPAN cpan.org/ has module for about everything. most of CPAN that isn't Windows specific is pretty Unix slanted but there again, I may be able to help out

gb
    • I will probably developing under Linux, but I dual boot with XP, so whatever turns out easier will be what I use.

My partner, however, has no grasp on PHP as far as I know, but he is a Linux user to the core (he only boots to XP for city of heroes and star wars rebellion (you read that one right). He didn't even have it installed before then. He IS a competant Perl programmer though.

PHP is very intriguing, though. Where can I go to learn that instead? I COULD look through the source for some programs (like phpBB and Nuke, and some others), but I'd rather learn a more straightforward way.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • free2code.net/tutorials/progra…to_PHP.php?page=1&print=1

This is a great tutorial for getting into PHP really fast. It doesn't teach you a heap but what it does teach you, it teaches you well. With your experience you should be able to get through it and have a good understanding of the basics in about 10 minutes. The guy who wrote is is very competent (wrote just about every piece of PHP that was used in free2code.net, including the message board) and very accessible if you have any troubles.

I also have one of those friends who is still stuck on Perl and I cringe every time he asks me for help with a script. Perl to me is a lot like Cobol, I learnt it once a long time ago and ever since have regretted letting it fill that portion of my brain. RegExps really do kick ass thought, so I thank the Perl creators for that.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gerry ().

• php.net/

You can search for a function, or really anything and a list of options will come up... select on of those and the bottom of each page has sample sorce codes for different aspects of what you might have been looking for. along with that are some comments about what works well, or alternitaves... stuff like that.
      Wort wort wort.
    • VS.NET and PHP

If you like VS.NET's IDE, and have some PHP code to write - check out the software you can download from JCX Software .

I've been using the beta, and I really like it - there's no debugging yet, but the online help, intellisense, syntax highlighting, and error parsing are all fantastic.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot