VS.NET 2003 DX AppWizard?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VS.NET 2003 DX AppWizard?

I use my old copy of VS6 just to use the AppWizard before I embark on experimentation, then drag the project over to 2003. I have been wondering where the wizard for VS.NET 2003 went? Did they make one?

Since they dropped the DXManaged stuff in you'd expect to find something....

Good thing I'm stuck in DBProgramming Hell right now or I'd be more urgent on this one....
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."
    • I use VS.NET 2002, so there may be some subtle differences, but here's what I got as far as the equivalent to VS6 AppWizard:

Go to New->Project
      Select Visual C++ Projects folder on the left
      Scroll down and select MFC Application, give it a project name and directory, then click OK.

Then you can go through the form and set up your Doc/View Architecture support, SDI/MDI settings, UI settings, etc.

I'm not sure about a DX AppWizard for VS.NET, seeing as how I've never used a DX AppWizard at all, but this is my guess: If you installed the DX9 SDK (may also need the summer update patch for it as well, I don't know), I think if you go to File->New Project, and check in the availabe Visual C++ Projects, you'll see a project template called DirectX 9 Visual C++ Wizard. That may be the one you're looking for. With it you can set up which components of DX you'll use, choose between an SDI or MFC Dialog based application, and a few other options.
    • Well, with VS6 installed the Appwizard shows up no problem. Still haven't seen one show up in VS.NET....

It sets up a really good sample framework for testing stuff out - though I don't think it's what I'd use for production work (couldn't say - never done "production" work).

If you've looked at the SceneGraph from MrMike you'll see what I mean - the appwizard creates this framework, then you add stuff (like the scenenode code).

Anyway - I'll have to fool around with this some more. Or just forget about it and derive my own.

Thanks guys!
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."
    • RE: VS.NET 2003 DX AppWizard?

IIRC the original Managed DirectX SDK for DirectX 9 came with wizards for the original Visual Studio .NET 2002 (v7.0) but did not include them for 2003 (v7.1). It was possible to copy and use the originals if you felt strongly enough about it.

The Summer Update for the SDK did include the additional wizards.

Alasdair Russell (Dhericean)
      Gamma Testing - Where testing is extended to the full user community (AKA Shipping the Program)