Just started

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just started

Hey guys , i'm a computer science student .in my 4th year currently .and i want to learn game programming so i started with 'Game Coding Complete - 4th Edition' and i read like 3 chapters .and i thought this book will teach how to create a game .but all i found is tips and tricks .
      so i was just wondering when do i start building my own game .and does the book walk me through building a game step by step or does it require me to have prior knowledge of game development?
      thanks in advance
    • i read first 3 chapters and a little bit of the 4th ,there was a title (creating a project). i thought it would actaully walk me through creating a new project but it was just tips for creating a project ,like choosing a good directory and good name for the project . that's why i'm asking if the book actaully teaches you to actually create your project step by step .
    • Marfish wrote:

Hey guys , i'm a computer science student .in my 4th year currently .and i want to learn game programming so i started with 'Game Coding Complete - 4th Edition' and i read like 3 chapters .and i thought this book will teach how to create a game .but all i found is tips and tricks .
      so i was just wondering when do i start building my own game .and does the book walk me through building a game step by step or does it require me to have prior knowledge of game development?
      thanks in advance

The book doesn't walk you through building a game step by step. It presents topics on game development and uses the included source for illustration. And there is a lot of code, enough in volume and complexity to daunt someone who's just beginning with C++ and/or game development.

It doesn't require you to have prior knowledge of game development, but I think it is far too advanced and complex for a beginner. I suggest that you start with simpler books:
      SFML Essentials (step-by-step, beginner level)
      SFML Game Development (step-by-step, intermediate)
      Game Programming Algorithms and Techniques

Also, read this.
      I want to be a game developer... now what?

As explained in the article I linked above, learning C++ is a huge undertaking in and of itself. Consider starting with something simpler e.g. Java:
      Fundamental 2D Game Programming with Java

You'll need design patterns sooner or later. This is a great reference:
      Game Programming Patterns

Hope I didn't scare or discourage you. Have fun!
    • thank you so much for your comment !
      i study computer science so i've already worked with c++ before ,i'm not a veteran or anything but i understand the basics
      and thank you again i really needed someone to point me to the right direction
      so when do you think i should read 'game coding complete''?
    • Marfish wrote:

so when do you think i should read 'game coding complete''?

After you have totally, completely, absolutely finished at least two 2D games. I recommend Tetris and Pong. The articles below should help.
      How do I make games?
      Just starting out, what games should I make?

But if you already know your way around C++ and Visual Studio, jump straight to Chapter 21 and see how the pieces fit together. Refer to the other chapters as needed.
    • f00lest wrote:

Looks like its gonna take a while to read "C++ How to program book"? Its 1000 pages! Is it okay to spend 3 months or so on this book? How much time do you guys take to complete this book?

Yes, it is okay to spend 3 months on the book.It is also OK to spend 4 to 6 months. There is a lot of material.
      It only took me a few weeks to read the book, but when I was done I had more questions than answers on several topics: C++, scripting, 3D graphics, multithreading... To quote Stallings in "Cryptography and Network Security", if one is prepared to accept the results given in the chapters, an understanding of the theories the topics are based on is not strictly necessary. However, to gain a full appreciation of the topics, some understanding is required.
    • georgerbr wrote:

It only took me a few weeks to read the book

How did you read it so fast. Did your read the book everyday and most time of the day? Can you give me any tips to go through the book faster?

Also I have some understanding of C++ I am in the middle of a course but I do not have knowledge of the complete features of C++ as the course only covers necessary areas for a game.

Thanks for the list @Origin
    • f00lest wrote:

georgerbr wrote:

It only took me a few weeks to read the book

How did you read it so fast. Did your read the book everyday and most time of the day? Can you give me any tips to go through the book faster?

Also I have some understanding of C++ I am in the middle of a course but I do not have knowledge of the complete features of C++ as the course only covers necessary areas for a game.

Thanks for the list @Origin

You left out the part where I wrote that when I was done I had more questions than answers on several topics ;) I only got interested in game development a few years ago, but I've been coding since 1996. I have a Computer Science degree and read many programming and math books. I think I went through the book quickly because when I started it I had already had some exposure to many of the topics. But even so, I had to read up on a lot of things.

My first tip is: read. Read good books and work hard on the exercises to build a strong foundation. Read good source code. My second is: write. Write code, then change, break, debug and fix it.