Steering behaviours actuator

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Steering behaviours actuator

Hey!

The question is not book related, but maybe somebody knows what to do. I'm trying to get steering behaviours properly working in my project. In its basic form they're pretty simple concept, but it has its downsides.

The actual problem I'm facing is that steering behaviors (as described by Reynolds) have no control over rotation rate. I've read the book on AI and author there describes steering pipeline which includes actuator as the final step, which should transform behavior output into the movement of the agent. This seems what I need, but no examples were given and I've found nothing on google about it. ?(

So basicaly I've got simple agent and just seek behavior, I want to have control over the turn rate. And this constraint should applied as final step because I can combine several behaviors in the future.

p.s. I'm using just linear velocity output from the behaviors since my agent always faces the velocity.
      Looking for a job!
      My LinkedIn Profile
    • Whenever I've used them, I do have the steering behaviors control the angular acceleration and max angular velocity. I haven't read Reynold's book so I can't comment on that specific technique.

My favorite book for steering behaviors is Artificial Intelligence for Games:
      amazon.com/Artificial-Intellig…317/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_2

The first hundred or so pages are dedicated to steering behaviors and the sample code is relatively straight-forward. You can see exactly how it's applied.

-Rez
    • Thanks! Adding rotation speed/acceleration seems unavoidable. But how do I actually limit the linear velocity? I.e. linear velocity can point anywhere but I need to have smooth rotation (and move in the direction of facing - car-like movement). The only idea I got is to project current agent velocity onto the orientation vector and use that projected velocity to actually move the agent instead of original linear velocity during intergration step.

End results I want to achieve is pretty simple - squad that is moving/rotating pretty slowly, don't sidestep or go backwards, can rotate in place if necessary. That's why rotation control is important for me.
      Looking for a job!
      My LinkedIn Profile
    • I'm still not sure I fully understand the design.

Okay, so you have a unit that's facing north and wants to move 90 degrees to their right. Do they turn in place, then start moving? How fast do you want them to be able to turn? A human can spin around in less than a second but a car takes much longer. If they can rotate in place, what happens if someone is walking north, then immediately wants to walk south? Do they stop, turn, and start walking? Do they go in a big circle like a vehicle? Are these humanoid characters or vehicles?

-Rez