Yet another stupid Direct3D 9 question...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yet another stupid Direct3D 9 question...

I was running my Direct3D 9 app against the debug runtimes and I noticed this debug console message:

Source Code

1. Direct3D9: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer

I thought that it might mean that I screwed something up in my app, but when I checked one of the sample apps what ship with the SDK I saw that same thing. Then I thought it might be the Catalyst driver for my Radeon 9700 Pro, but when checked on a Nvidia GeForce 2 I saw the same message.

Anyone have any ideas?
    • RE: Yet another stupid Direct3D 9 question...

Here's a random guess - the INFO tag means that DirectX isn't warning you about an error as much as it is telling you about something happening that it can recover from.

Generally you can ignore INFO messages - but they can be great debugging tools.

Maybe someone else knows some specifics - did you try searching msdn.microsoft.com or Google groups?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Found a likely answer in the microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.managed newsgroup thread here

Basically says that the runtime is trying to create a temporary index buffer for the DrawIndexedPrimitiveUP and the driver is not able to create it in video memory so it's falling back to system memory.

Most solutions I found all agree that this message should be ignored and really be muted by the runtime.
    • Assuming you expected the buffer to be created in video ram, this message would be nice to get. Otherwise you'd never know.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot