Any more detailed, yet easily-understandable descriptions about COM objects?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any more detailed, yet easily-understandable descriptions about COM objects?

This book is basically built on DirectX, and DirectX is, of course, full of COM objects. But COM objects are very difficult to grasp, and most recent DirectX guide books just teach them to us through some basic examples, instead of giving us a global understanding of these things. Last year, I was learning Frank D. Luna's Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach, and while trying to work out an exercise about X file, I encountered a strange problem, which was related to the release (or maybe addref, I don't remember so clearly) of a COM object.

Although that problem was solved anyway, I didn't understand why it should be solved that way, because before the problem was settled, I thought the code was just fine. So I do need something detailed, yet easy enough to give me a better understanding of COM objects.

GCC4 seems not to cover so much about this topic. So can somebody give me some advice? :)