New/Upcoming Games...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RE: New/Upcoming Games...

I don't know about that - I'm personally having a great time with Project Gotham 2, and while I haven't played it over Xbox Live yet - I've personally seen it (pre-release) and it rocks....

Watch out Grand Turismo!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot

Half Life 2 was delayed because of thathacker attack on Valve....

It's supposed to be fantastic.
      And by the way, everyone in the computer game industry wants that hacker's head on a pike. Teams sacrifice everything to get their work out by Christmas, and this hacker spoiled it for them.

Also - Full Spectrum Warrior for the PC is supposed to be really good. I saw it at E3 and it looked REALLY cool.
      Mr.Mike

Originally posted by mrmike
      Half Life 2 was delayed because of thathacker attack

... aparently.

Originally posted by mrmike
      And by the way, everyone in the computer game industry wants that hacker's head on a pike.

Not only those in the industry, I don't even want to imagine what that feeling must of been like for them when they saw years of hard work stolen from them like that. I'd imagine it would be close to the feeling of having your child kidnapped. You should of seen me freak out when I lost my Chrono Trigger save states!! :D (SIDE NOTE: Don't freak out, I have a cart too, but playing it on Zsnes is so much better. I couldn't possibly ever play it again on my SNES at the default 10 pixel per second running speed.)

But back to Valve. As much as I feel sorry for them, I do shake my head at one thing... how could you transfer such important files using a piece of software that is constantly having vunerabilities broadcast all over the net ever couple of days? (Talking about Outlook Express)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gerry ().

I'm not entirely sure exactly what the hacker boosted from Valve - and the hack was a more complicated than walking through a back door left open by Outlook, although that may have been a piece of what happened.

At the late stages of development, any game is going to have lots of things working, but also lots of things broken, and it would be extremely challenging for someone to pour though the code to make a truly working game.

Isn't it also true that source code was stolen, but not game assets or proprietary development tools?
      Mr.Mike
    • The hacker claimed that what he stole and released (he made more than one release) was everything that Valve had (for HL2 that is) so I dunno.

Yeah he installed a keylogger too, but apparently everything he stole, he got from using a OE backdoor on the machine of a worker who had been away on holidays. Apparently he just had to boost a zip or something that had been e-mailed by that person which contained the entire directory structure. Although I'm not sure what to believe, there have been so many conflicting reports.

Does anybody know if they caught him yet?

Also, wouldn't it be safer if your working on a big important project like HL2, to have one machine with permenant net access, and with none of the valuables on it, that did all necessary net tasks such as checking for e-mail. Then if net access is required by a developer, they could connect to the net machine and then disconnect as soon as they have finished (which could be automated). And any machine that contains the entire project should never be connected to the net machine. From what I've herd form the Valve story, there was a machine that was unattended for a long period of time, had a substancial ammount of the project on it and had a permenant connection to the net... this just don't seem wise.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Gerry ().

• I kinda have to give him credit for it tho... What he did took skill. And he did something so big that we are talking about it.

It's awfull for Valve, i'm sure they relize now something they could have done better, but you have to give the hacker a little credit...
      Wort wort wort.
    • Originally posted by Kaimera
      I kinda have to give him credit for it tho... What he did took skill. And he did something so big that we are talking about it.

It's awfull for Valve, i'm sure they relize now something they could have done better, but you have to give the hacker a little credit...

Perhaps for the skill, but anything he gets for that is more than lost on the fact that he is a theif (no offence, Mr. Mike :D ).

[ot]I feel wierd callling you Mr. Mike, as I don't know the background behind the nick. I'm thinking about giving ya another one, one that has meaning to all of us who don't know you in real life. Anybody have any ideas, or just wanna tell me I'm an idoit? :D [/ot]
    • money.cnn.com/2004/02/02/comme…r/column_gaming/index.htm

Quote from the article:
      The summer release date of Half-Life 2 is certain to once again divide gamers.... Others are likely to howl in outrage that the game has been delayed so far beyond its initial target date... Some ludicrous conspiracy theorists will likely begin regurgitating the ridiculous story that the source code leak was intentional, so Valve would have an 'excuse' to delay the game.

I'm becoming more and more of a "ludicrous conspiracy theorist" every day. Seems very strange to me that a completed game would need this long for a couple of security additions.
    • Intentional or not, Valve certainly is taking an excessive amount of time, from the data I've read. Them delaying it isn't bad, I mean it was just announced at E3 last year, but why did they claim a September release date at all?

As for Team Fortress 2, it's not coming, dude.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com