Market for classic games?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Market for classic games?

Cool, MrMikes site now has a general discussions forum, so unless he's expecting threads about George S. Patton, Jr. or Ulysses S. Grant we can talk about anything we like :D

I recently read a story about SEGA's plans to start offering classic games for download over the internet for a small charge. Personally, I think thats a great idea. I love getting my hands on great games I haven't played in years.

Wouldn't it be great if old games were updated to work on modern PCs? Imagine playing an officially downloaded Mario Bros, Zelda, or an updated Monkey Island that didn't need DOS sound emulators.

[IMG:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/leigh.stringer/images/monkeyisland.jpg]

Do you think there'd be a market for that?
      pan narrans

The post was edited 1 time, last by pan narrans ().

• RE: Market for classic games?

Wouldn't it be great if old games were updated to work on modern PCs? Imagine playing an officially downloaded Mario Bros, Zelda, or an updated Monkey Island that didn't need DOS sound emulators.

Game Cube has a demo that includes 4 of the older Zelda games... Have you heard anything good about it?
      Wort wort wort.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kaimera ().

When I bought The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker I got a bonus disc with Ocarina Of Time which was quite cool. I don't have my original N64 version anymore so I can't compare graphics, but they seem just as good if not better than the original. It was fun to play through my favourite game of all time again on the GameCube. I thought it was a great idea for a bonus gift.

I haven't tried the 4 game disc, but it has Ocarina, Majora's Mask, the original and another that I can't remember. These are full games, not demos, so how much you'd like it would basically depend on how much you like those original games.

Coming back to my original question, would you be willing to pay a small fee to download older Zelda games to play them on your PC?

PS: I'm talking about properly licensed upgrades, not buggy emulators and illegal ROMs.
      pan narrans
    • Hmmm... well I'd probably pay for Chrono Trigger, but not many others. And I'd defiantly pay for a new 2D SNES styled RPG, I really miss those type of games, sure Indies make them still, but theirs usually suck in comparison to the classics.

I really liked the way Rockstar started giving away an old version of GTA on their site. Good PR move and it introduces new people to the series.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gerry ().

Originally posted by pan narrans
      It was fun to play through my favourite game of all time again on the GameCube.

Goldeneye didn't make it into your top ten!!! How could you? :D

You probably just needed to play more 4 player "licence to kill" matches. I still crank that game out every once in a while.

Originally posted by Gerry
      Goldeneye didn't make it into your top ten!!! How could you? :D

You probably just needed to play more 4 player "licence to kill" matches. I still crank that game out every once in a while.

Considering I never actually owned it, and only ever played it on a friends machine, it did bloody well :P

No-one agrees with my list anyway. Most peeps never even heard of my number 2 game :rolleyes:
      pan narrans

I play Halo...
      I had loved GoldenEye...
      To play 007 after several years again was straight up depressing. In my mind their was theis image of 007 in my mind that was atleast as good as Halo. But, to play it again after so long was just... Dissapointing.

I dont know if i really want to play some of these classics again.
      Wort wort wort.

Originally posted by Kaimera
      I play Halo...
      I had loved GoldenEye...
      To play 007 after several years again was straight up depressing. In my mind their was theis image of 007 in my mind that was atleast as good as Halo. But, to play it again after so long was just... Dissapointing.

I dont know if i really want to play some of these classics again.

But is that in terms of graphics or gameplay? For me, playing classic games is all about gameplay (well, admittedly it has to be :))).

I've recently replayed Outcast, Monkey Island 2, and Flashback because I love the gameplay. I also recently played through the PC version of Halo, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, and Soul Calibur II. I like a good mix of old and new.

In much the same way that people watch classic films because of the storytelling, I play old games for the gameplay experience.
      pan narrans

Most peeps never even heard of my number 2 game :rolleyes:
      I have but only in a tutorial on Voxels that I saw on Gamedev. :D

I've recently replayed Outcast, Monkey Island 2, and Flashback because I love the gameplay.
      Yeah I played Flashback recently too, that is a sweet game! I love the old adventure games too, while I did think too much of the Monkey island series, both Maniac Manson and it's sequal (DOTT) are right up near the top of my list. Maniac Manson is still in a category all by itself, even after all these years.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gerry ().

To me even the game play can be outdated... Even when i still had N64, once Perfect Dark came out i rarely played 007 at all. Great games can be only temporary, even if temporary is a few years long.

BTW, anyone know about any details on Perfect Dark for XBox?
      Wort wort wort.

To me even the game play can be outdated... Even when i still had N64, once Perfect Dark came out i rarely played 007 at all. Great games can be only temporary, even if temporary is a few years long.

BTW, anyone know about any details on Perfect Dark for XBox?

I know what you mean, some things do age badly. But I don't agree that all games are temporary. Games like Tetris and the LucasArts adventure games are as fun now as ever. I guess newer games offer more features and prettier graphics and so are more appealing. But as a games programmer I enjoy playing through older games specifically to see what is different.
      pan narrans

But I don't agree that all games are temporary.

Oh yeah, i definatly dont think that all games lose their gameplay. I got Tetris as a demo for the XBox, and it is kinda fun to play with a couple people...
      It is just hard for me to define an Action/Adventure game as a classic game. Halo is an amazing game which 2 years later is still selling new for almost the same price that which it came out as. I dont think their is really any other game that can say that. Which is truely incredable, almost anyone who owns an XBox owns a copy of halo...
      I dont think it's just me, but i would love to have been apart of creating a game that has lasted for so long, and is still very popular.
      But a Classic? That would be pushing it i think. As great as it is, it cant be put into the same catagory as something like Pong!!! :]
      Wort wort wort.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kaimera ().

<START SPOILERS>
      Having recently played through Halo on the PC I have to say I was a little disappointed. It started (and finished) really well: the outdoor levels were the best ever. But those underground levels against the Flood just dragged on and on. It was cool the first time a ton of Flood spores appeared and swarmed at me, but after so many levels of blasting the same creatures in a repeating environment I was praying for a return to ground level (and thus a return to fun!!). The multiplayer game was excellent though.

Half-Life had a similar problem towards its end when it switched to an alien environment that just wasn't as fun as the rest of the game.
      </END SPOILERS>
      pan narrans

(Halo for XBox is better)

Ignoring the disapointing lack of coop support in the PC version, I would have to disagree.
      Personally I can't stand playing FPS without my good old mouse/keyboard combo. Also, the PC version allows you to play at higher resolutions. But other than that the game is exactly the same, so how can the xbox version be better?

Originally posted by Fire Elemental
      Personally I can't stand playing FPS without my good old mouse/keyboard combo....

...But other than that the game is exactly the same, so how can the xbox version be better?

He probably likes using a controller for FPS, I know I do. The head movement when using mouse is just too unrealistic so you know your playing a game. I mean who moves their head that fast and that often? In real life when people want to look up they have to transition their head to the up position, they can't just decide where they want to look and then just instantly look there as you seem to be able to do in most PC based FPSs.

I believe this was a design decision that was used to cope with the fact that the mouse can't automatically return to the center position upon release as a joystick can, but I dunno if the extra support (PC users not needing a Joystick) was worth the decrease in realism.

Several things changed in the PC version that really werent for the better... i.e. the weapons... the pistol now sucks, the assult rifle is allot stronger and now the fuel rod gun is straight up devastating for the team that doesn't get to it first.

The good things i've seen about it are the new levels, and the recently added Banchee...

But yeah, i'll be the first to admit that i do have a biast towards console... I like being able to controll everything so easily for just a controler and a comfortable chair.
      *But i'm not saying i wont play a game just because it isn't a console game. (One of my favs would have to be Diablo2) But, i guess i really like console games is because of multiplayer games; not talking about on-line aspect; but playing friends, insulting each other, and just having so much fun doing it.
      Wort wort wort.