Request 2D graphics support for next edition

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• This is not actually very difficult to get going with the given systems in version 4, simply get a sprite scene node going, some basic animation code to supply texture coordinates, and use an image loading resource processor with a library like stb_image. The complex part is the sorting of the sprites (and batching).
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz

The post was edited 2 times, last by mholley519 ().

• For some reason it didn't notify that I left a reply, maybe this will update the database
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x
    • mholley, could you elaborate al little on sorting and batching (especially batching i am interested in).

Sorting seems to be quite easy from a conceptual standpoint: if one has a depth buffer everything without alpha is rendered front to back, with alpha back to front. If there is no depth buffer (as in my case) everything will be rendered back to front. Or am I wrong?
    • Batching involves ensuring that sprites (or meshes) that use the same texture/material are sorted together into a continuous set of draw calls, this ensures that the shaders/textures are only bound once and minimizes the stress placed on the GPU.

Generally you want to weigh the benefits of how you batch/sort, but the most common way I have found is.

- Pass, this can be opaque, transparent, or in deferred shading, geometry and lighting passes, maybe even a GUI pass.
      - Depth, to eliminate overdraw, and in the case of transparent geometry, properly blend.
      - Material, to reduce texture/shader switches.
      PC - Custom Built

Laptop - Alienware M17x

The post was edited 1 time, last by mholley519 ().