Windows 8 or Windows 7

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Windows 8 or Windows 7

I am new here and just starting work on getting into Game Development, been working with Java and now C++ for a while and going to start college soon.

My main question is should I use Windows 8 for Development or stick to windows 7?

Thanks for everyone's input ahead of time.
    • Windows 7, definitely. Windows 8 is the Windows Vista of the future. There are piles of compatibility issues that it's just not worth it.

-Rez
    • I hear everybody talking so bad about Windows 8 that it really makes me afraid to buy a Surface but when I tried out the Surface Pro and Windows 8 I was pretty damn please...... As far as for development I would still go with windows 7 even though I do feel that Windows 8 is aiming to the right direction!
      Intel i7 3930k
      8GB Mushkin LP @ 2133 mhz
      GTX 680
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme
      Corsair 650w
    • I don't share Rez's hatred for Windows 8. Aside from having to roll back a WiFi driver, I've had no issues with it, and I find it is noticeably faster than Win 7. Of course, I never really touch the metro stuff other than to search for files. As long as you know your keyboard shortcuts or take the time to learn a little bit of the metro usability, that part is decent too. I just think they did a poor job of teaching metro, as I've had to google instructions everytime I've gotten stuck on something.

That being said, I wouldn't develop targeting Windows 8, just develop while running Windows 8 ;)

James

The post was edited 1 time, last by rickvanprim ().

• I think I tend to agree with Rez, every-time I tried to get something to work in Windows 8, it always failed, was really getting on my nerves.

Although I see it would have uses for someone that does not want as much control as I do over my OS.... Would just use Linux if it was not for the Windows control over the game market....
    • Keep an eye on Valve Selldur, they are promoting Linux gaming quite a bit now, and as a result Linux has recently gotten a large jump (relatively) in games made for it. You won't get games from the really big names at the moment, but you will be getting a larger selection nearly every week now.

Unity3D also has a native Linux target as well now, so games can be easily ported with the push of a button, one I know that has taken advantage of this already is Rochard.

On the main subject though, I have had continual issues whenever I tried to use Windows 8, Windows 7 is better and does run smoothly, but Linux just runs so much smoother.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • I have always been a Linux guy, just always hated how it was so unloved. I plan on working on some OpenGL later on just thought it would be worth my time to learn windows first, as it is more likely where I would find a job...

I also think that with what Ubuntu is working on with Computer/Tablet/Phone they might be-able to bring Linux into the real market( I am hoping).
    • I personally don't think Ubuntu can do it, not alone at least, they have a lot of cool features, but their software center needs a lot of improvement, with a big name like Steam though which has already proven it can attract developers to Linux, even if not the bigger companies, I think they can pull it off.

If you need help with OpenGL, it is my graphics API of choice and use it every day, let me know if you have any issues.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • I have used Windows 8 and I do not like it 1 bit! I really dislike it in fact..lol

I love Windows 7, I think its the best OS so far and I've never had problems with it... I have used the 32 bit and 64bit versions..both are good..

My mum has Win8 on her laptop, and i hate it.. It is soooo annoying!

Maybe its not too bad on a touchscreen, but on laptops and desktops its pretty annoying and bad..imo..

That is just from a User perspective.. I have never written code for Win8.. I am ot sure what its liek to dev for..
    • Hi I am new here. Got W8 for introduction price. Now very recent got MS VS 2012 prof.

I am just starting. Wich means no code base. So while W8 is new and DX11.1 to.
      It wil be much more common in the near future. So I prepare for the future. What is new now will be mainstream over few years.
      I don't expect delevering something concrete while learning the basics.
      So with W8.1 on the horizon. Well my choice is to start of from W8 and Dx11.

In the mean time start learning to code. Build a little code base. Some litte projects for practice.

w8 with its radical change in UI need some adoption. I adopting slowly, but going fine.