GDC 2013 - Worth it for me?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GDC 2013 - Worth it for me?

This is my first post on the forums, so I'd first like to say thanks for the great book. It's been great for helping me see the big picture as well as the individual details of game programming.

On to the question. I've never gone to GDC and wasn't planning on going this year due to money. However my wife recently surprised me and said I should go if it would be beneficial. I am unsure if it would be at this point for the following reasons:
      - Not sure my one and only real demo would be ready by then
      - I have an obligation Wed night that week that I am unsure if I will be able to get out of (meaning I'd most likely only be able to be there Thus and Fri if I got a flight out Wed night)
      - More personal that I just need to get over: I suck at networking, get fairly nervous in new situations, and don't know if my skills are anywhere near where they need to be to get a job (see background below).

Some background:

I am currently 29 and have a BS in Psychology, MA in Marriage and Family Therapy, and a BS in Computer Science. I got the computer science degree after deciding to switch career paths and got through the program in 1 1/2 years (completed last April). It was towards the end of the program that I started seriously looking at game programming. After I graduated I've spent the last year learning things not taught in the program (ie DirectX, Windows API, various C++ advanced topics, etc), as well as being a stay at home Dad (fun, but certainly slows down learning) and the leader of a youth group. I am currently working on a simple 2D demo with the GCC book as a guide.

Thanks in advance for reading and any help/comments.
    • As far as I understand, if you are really serious about breaking into the industry, then GDC is a must. I was on the fence about GDC 2013 as well. I recently graduated with my MS in physics, and I'm almost entirely self-taught coder (a couple formal courses here and there). Before I had even finished making my Tetris clone demo, I decided I was going to GDC this year.

Here was my thought-process in my decision: I want to break into the industry. GDC is very important for breaking into the industry. Do I bite the bullet even though I might not be ready and spend the money to go this year or wait until next year? I want to break in ASAP, hence I'll risk it and go now. My other option was attempt to get a regular software job in the meantime and wait until next year to really attempt breaking in.

I don't know if this was helpful or not, but I hope it was. In any case, there's some enlightening discussions in a couple other threads, which I'll link below. These discussions might help you make up your mind.

Here's a couple threads that discuss GDC:
      mcshaffry.com/GameCode/thread.php?threadid=1743
      mcshaffry.com/GameCode/thread.php?threadid=1638

Here's a thread that has a great article on breaking into the industry as well as some discussion on the importance of networking:
      mcshaffry.com/GameCode/thread.php?threadid=1765