Toolbox - Perf Problems? I feel bad for you son

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Toolbox - Perf Problems? I feel bad for you son

After spending 4 hours trying to debug my first performance issue manually I was able to solve it in 10 minutes after creating a new IScreenElement implementation called ProfilingScreenElement.

It's a singleton (can't use it more than once but the fact that I can get away using it without having to new up a new one in the classes I'm debugging is worth it) and has 2 public methods on it Start() and Stop().

Internally it's got a reference to a StopWatch that it uses to distinguish the amount of time that passed since Start and Stop were called then renders it to the screen on Render() just like the other IScreenElement implementations.

Very useful as I can plug it in now whenever I have performance problems in the future, and it wouldn't have been so easy to add without the decoupled and extensible engine Mike and Rez preach.

Thanks!
      -bullgoose
    • Cool sounds like the "Poor mans profiler" Mike talked about in the book, I prefer using tools to profile as it doesn't muddy up the code at all, if you want a good free one, check out Very Sleepy, it works fairly well.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz