DXUT Integration

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DXUT Integration

Has anyone integrated a project into DXUT? I installed a sample with DXUT and have been stripping out the items I dont want so I can use the GUI functionality. My question is has anyone taken this a step further and built a game or application using the the DXUT framework as a starting point?

Thanks for any insight anyone has.
    • RE: DXUT Integration

I did long, long ago when I wrote a little animated Mother's Day card. What's the question? I might be able to dig up that old code and remember how it all fits together.

-Rez
    • RE: DXUT Integration

Ahh, if you're looking for general advice, I'm probably not the right person to ask. I used DXUT on one small project about 5 years ago. I don't remember enough to be useful here, except to say that you'll want to abstract all the DXUT and D3D stuff away from your core engine / game code. This will allow you to swap it out for something else without changing much else in the future.

-Rez
    • God UI programming does kind of suck. :) At work i've been taking on the unusual role lately of UI programmer on Thor for the 3DS. And yeah, it's not exactly inspiring work!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • At least it's the UI for a game! Don't suppose you've ever worked in Flex (Flash Builder) before? So many stupid little bugs on Adobe's side that require hours and hours of work to hack around. Of course I may just be complaining because we need to do that to fix medium/low bugs that our team has been continually put off due to how much of a pain they are to fix :)
    • Taking a different approach

Since the game will be 2D but with some 3D models captured in 2d I decided to work on the UI in isolation by building a sample 3d scene and then working on the HUD on top of that. This way I know I can render all the 3D or 2D that I need to and can still render the HUD on top of all of it.

Any thoughts on this approach?