Some problems running the source code

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Some problems running the source code

Hello, I have just purchased the third edition (it will arrive tomorrow) and I was trying to get my visual studio set up so that I am ready to jump right into the book once it comes, however I am having some problems.

First, when trying to compile the source code I received an error that dxerr9.h was missing. I did a google search and found that with the newest release of DirectX SDK, dxerr9.h was removed, and dxerr.h is used instead. Now after I changed that, the compiler gave me a ton of lua errors (both VS2008 and VS2005). I looked through a bunch of threads in this forum about that and was able to get past those errors by using the code in the svn listed under the "test" section, rather than the main source section.

Edit: There are no build errors in my compile log now, however there are 58 warnings from libbulletcollision_d.lib. I would also like to add that sometimes when building (actually seems to be 4/5 times now) that after all of the bulletcollision errors, Microsoft Incremental Linker crashes, and then the compile fails completely.

Also, for some reason when I try to open EditorApp.exe, it immediately crashes. And when I run TeapotWarsd.exe, the physics seem really messed up and after moving for a few seconds my teapot flies off of the grid and starts spinning wildly. I don't know if this has to do with all of the bulletphysics warnings mentioned above or not.

Also I am using Windows 7 Home premium 64bit if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated greatly,
      Thanks

The post was edited 6 times, last by Junlee ().

• RE: Some problems running the source code

Gross - I haven't played in Win7 yet although there's nothing in the code that should break under it.

The test branch in Google does have some fixes the main branch doesn't have - I've been waiting for a little more testing time before publishing them - and it sounds to me like there are a few things wrong in there that need looking at.

GDC is next week so I'll be completely hammered schedulewise to get a look at the problem - perhaps someone else has a moment to grab the test branch on Google to see if the problems are reproable?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • RE: Some problems running the source code

Originally posted by Junlee
      (snip)
      First, when trying to compile the source code I received an error that dxerr9.h was missing. I did a google search and found that with the newest release of DirectX SDK, dxerr9.h was removed, and dxerr.h is used instead.
      (snip)
      Thanks

Yeah I just copied dxerr9.h into dxerr.h :)
      Chris
      VS 2008
      MS Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Cool. I was having this issue too, as well as having to deal with Visual Studio 2010 and its decision to make the VC++ Directories work as a per-project setting and no longer 'IDE global'm meaning I had to go tell some projects where to go to grab the DXSDK headers.

I was impressed that the Project Properties dialog box auto-updates as you click on various projects in Solution Explorer. I really hate modal dialogs that have no business being modal :)

As an aside snipe, I just wish the VS guys could make the Visual Studio Options dialog resizable, I do so hate horizontal scrollbar shenanigans.
      "Everyone's entitled to my opinion."
    • Cool. I was having this issue too, as well as having to deal with Visual Studio 2010 and its decision to make the VC++ Directories work as a per-project setting and no longer 'IDE global', meaning I had to go tell some projects where to go to look for the DXSDK headers.

I was impressed that the Project Properties dialog box auto-updates as you click on various projects in Solution Explorer. I really hate modal dialogs that have no business being modal :)

As an aside snipe, I just wish the VS guys could make the Visual Studio Options dialog resizable, I do so hate horizontal scrollbar shenanigans.
    • Ooops, sorry for the double whammy post. My initial cl;ck on Post Reply resulted in my browser burping out a browser error. I guess clicking on back and clicking on Post Reply again is not a good idea :)
    • Anyone maybe find a solution to the LUA issues when trying to build the GCC source? I checked it out and updated the VC++ directories to reference the DX SDK (June 2010). Strangely enough though, I don't think I had the problem with the missing dx header file.