Issues Implementing The Architecture Presented In Game Coding Complete 2

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Issues Implementing The Architecture Presented In Game Coding Complete 2

Hi,

I would like to begin by stating how impressed I am with the Book Game Coding Complete 2nd Edition. It has really helped me develop a deep insight into the issues of game architecture.

Now onto the problem I have:

At the moment I am working on a project that uses the Quake3 BSP file format for rendering and performing collisions with static level geometry. I would like to use the Game View and Game Logic architecture presented in the book, but in order for me to do this I would have to have the BSP tree for the Quake 3 level contained inside the Game View for rendering and the game logic for collision detection.

My question is how I would go about implementing a Quake 3 BSP Map into this architecture. Both the Game View and Game Logic need to know about the structure of the map, but having two copies of the same data would be an inefficient use of space and create maintenance problems. I do not think that sharing this BSP data between the Game View and Game Logic systems would be acceptable, as this would break the architecture presented in the book where it is important to reduce interdependencies.

I would appreciate any input on this issue, maybe I am trying to over engineer the problem and making a mountain out of a mole hill :D.

Thanks in advance