OpenGL vs DirectX

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OpenGL vs DirectX

Hi,

I'm want to ask a question that I am finding difficult to ask since there are different paths of opinions. So I'll just ask it;

Which is better, OpenGL or DirectX?

Now of course some people will say DirectX is better while another group of people will say; "Oh no! OpenGL rocks!!". "Okay, fine, tell me why!?" Then they will go into some long boring list of reasons they like it. Opinions are a dime-a-dozen, and they are not helpful in the learning process. I certainly don't think that either is better than the other, so the next question is; Why do some companies favor DirectX over OpenGL? Do they? I do understand that some/many companies incororate both into their products, why? The only thing I can think of is to support a users graphics card, (true or false?) Would it be safe for me to say that there is less development time using DirectX then OpenGL? Is there more "flexibility" using DirectX then OpenGL (or viscera)? What are the arguments for using OpenGL or DirectX?

Thanks

S
    • Hi Sabrina,

In my opinion, it boils down to the author's tasks/goals.

You can pretty much achieve the desired effect via both API's.

I tend to favour DirectX because of the solid documentation, forums, regular (tri-monthly I believe) updates to the API, some cool tools. OpenGL takes its time getting updated.

Also the fact that the Xbox, PC, and Live Arcade are all heading for a coliision course, where apparently your DX-written games will be easily portable to all three platforms. Apparently.

Arguments against DX mainly boil down to the fact that it is useless on non-MS platforms.

Regards,
      Brendan.
      -B.
    • RE: OpenGL vs DirectX

Thanks for the response. I was having problems with my shader libraries and I was hopping DirectX Shading would be more easyer to do than OpenGL Shading. I don't know anything about DirextX so I bought a bought a DirectX book (Beginning DirectX 9 By: Wendy Jones). Hopefully it will good starting point in learning "the other white meat". ;) I guess I'll have to play with DirectX to see if I can do some shading a little better than the way I'm doing it now. I guess I can use both OpenGL and DirectX in a project then just use a "Factory Pattern" that can decide which one to use. I guess we'll see.

Thanks!

S.
    • Hi Sabrina,

I haven't done much work with shaders in OpenGL, but I'm doing more and more with DirectX.

As for books, the Wendy Jones book is OK, but its pretty basic. I'd imagine if you are already working with OpenGL you'll race through. And there isn't really anything in there for shaders.

I'd recommend checking out Frank Luna's new edition, I read his "Introduction to DirectX 9.0 A Shader Approach" and it was pretty informative.

Now he has a DX10 version of the book also.
      amazon.com/Introduction-3D-Gam…oks&qid=1222480911&sr=1-2

As for online resources, relating to DX and Shaders, Toymaker, toymaker.info/Games/html/shaders.html is one of the better ones that I have found.

Anyway, hope that helps...

Regards,
      Brendan.
      -B.